Featured Miniature Pottery Pitchers or Jugs Impressed Z

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by laura9797, Feb 8, 2022.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

My client brought me two of this miniature pitchers or jugs - maybe creamers? They both have dimpled texture. The bottom has raised Z - might be raised N but I think it is a Z. My client could not remember where he got them. He had them packed away in his garage for years. Approx. height 2.67 in., and 3.37 in. - measured at the spouts.
    Thank you for any suggestions. image1.jpeg image0.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg

stracci, johnnycb09, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Huh, What do you know. I have a little jug about the same size as the taller one with a raised letter on the bottom - either N or Z! Not the same shape to the handle or the body. Stripey rather than dimpled. Also a darker color of green. But that letter - which I could not find in resources - driving me crazy, and I suppose it's doing the same to you!

3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. laura9797

So one pitcher looks like a star pattern and the other honeycomb or brick pattern. I didn't see it until I looked at the photos.

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

They might be Niloak. Niloak did similar shapes and it would explain the N.

6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

You did it! In Gifford's Niloak book, the left one is described as Pitcher, 2 1/2", "N" low relief, and the right one says Pitcher, 3 1/2" castware, Niloak low relief. The marks section shows one example, "N" Low Relief: Raised mold mark of "N," usually found on small castware items, 1940s.

7. Bakersgma

I don't have that book and wonder whether you can post a scan picture for me janetpjohn?

say_it_slowly likes this.
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Figtree3, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

10. Bakersgma

OMG!! Mine is the one in the lower right corner!!

Figtree3 and say_it_slowly like this.
  11. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and say_it_slowly like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Love seeing collaborative "solves" here on Antiquers!

dgbjwc likes this.
  13. laura9797

WAHOOOO!!! I love this forum!!! Thanks so much!!!

dgbjwc, Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted