Featured Miniature Portrait Pendant: Antique or Vintage?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by OldCat, Aug 7, 2021.

1. OldCat

OldCat New Member

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

What's on that jump ring is still kind of unclear....at least to ME!!!

SHAMROCK ring MARK-3_00x.jpg

3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Maybe the back originally held some locks of hair under glass?
    It’s very pretty and a lovely find.

5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Nice Edwardian Belle Epoque enamel pendant!
    The hair style and the letters font on back are confirming it is an antique:)

6. OldCat

OldCat New Member

This is amazing! I never would thought to lighten the photo to see more detail. Thanks so much!

7. OldCat

OldCat New Member

That was my same thought : ) Thank you so much I adore this piece!

8. OldCat

OldCat New Member

Thank so much! I feel like I always overlook the Edwardian era because its so short compared to the others.

LauraGarnet02 and kyratango like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The woman's hairstyle is definitely an early 20th century style. I agree with @kyratango .

And, it is lovely, and unusual!

10. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

I am quite jelly. By chance, is that portrait reverse painted under glass? Lovely circa 1910 guilloche enameling (also called basse-taille for the more sophisticated). Based upon the quality of the painting, I don't think it's a high end piece, but it is a really interesting and unusual piece.

After close inspection, the image suggests there is a ring insert that should lift off on the back. If I am correct you may find some additional hallmarking somewhere along the outer ring or inner rim.

rim-edge.jpg

If there is a ring, the back would be missing its glass cover for a lock of hair or some other keep sake (an easy repair if you can get the ring off). That may be why there are the initial on the back side.

I can't make out the hallmark provided even with image manipulation....wish I could as I would love to know the maker.

kyratango, Figtree3 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Just a quick clarification, 'guilloché' indicates an engine-turned, rather than hand engraved and/or chased, design in the metal, it may also be enameled - I see no guilloché on this sweet piece...

~Cheryl

12. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

Thank you Cheryl! That is a very useful tidbit of detail. Now if I can only remember it lol!

Draft saved Draft deleted