Miniature Paintings Just Arrived! Mozart and Sophie Charlotte of Prussia

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by RachelW, Oct 7, 2024 at 9:44 AM.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Hi all! I've been waiting for these to arrive, and after a delay, today they did! All 5 are from the same seller. I'll divide them into separate threads so nothing gets lost.

First up: This is a pair that I bought separately. They're framed together so together they stay! The man was sold as Mozart and she was listed as Sophie Charlotte of Pressia. I'm wondering about the material of the frames...They have some of the patterning of bone or ivory, but in hand they're cool to the touch and very smooth. The sides have an almost plastic quality to them. I can't find any Schreger lines. They're backed in wood and covered in old paper. Sophie's paper has latin and Mozart is in French. Sophie is signed as well.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Other than 'old', I don't really have an age for these. Sophia lived from 1744-1818, Mozart died in 1791. The seller had them catagorized on ebay as 1850-1899 for Sophia, and Mozart as 1800-1849. That's all I have to go on.

Not sure if there's dust on the glass, I keep trying to wipe it off so apologies for all the dots on mozart in particular lol!​

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This is not what you want to hear but... In my experience, these types of paintings in bone frames are 20th century decorative miniatures. They are typically copies of known portraits. The backings are designed to give them the appearance of age.

Debora

Dessert58, Any Jewelry and RachelW like this.
  3. RachelW

uh oh.....my bank doesn't like the sound of that. They cost me 30 something each....

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The woman is Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire as painted by Thomas Gainsborough. She is often reproduced in these types of miniatures. Here's another example.

Debora

Thomas_Gainsborough_Lady_Georgiana_Cavendish.jpg

hd_item_2005691_6ccb7b4ade 2.jpg

RachelW likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The male portrait may be intended to be Mozart and loosely based -- keeping in mind that Mozart died at the age of 30 -- on this portrait by Barbara Krafft. The seller of the lot below claims the figure in the red coat is also Mozart.

Debora

canvas-oil-Wolfgang-Amadeus-Mozart-Barbara-Krafft-1819.jpg.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

RachelW likes this.
  6. RachelW

Yikes. Looks like I may have been done then.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto. Although it looks like real piano keys were used for the, uhm, piano keys of the frame. I can see some wavy ivory markings.

Sophie Charlotte of Prussia is indeed "The Duchess", and Mozart isn't Mozart either.

RachelW likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Did you ask here before you bid? I can't imagine you weren't warned by our members if you did.:(

RachelW likes this.
  9. RachelW

No unfortunately not. I tend to if I'm not sure, but this seller's inventory is/was all 16th-19th century paintings etc so these seemed to fit right in.

I may see if I can get a return on them, I spent too much to swallow it here...

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Good luck.:) Decorative and possible ivory is double trouble.:(
    Stay away from piano key frames in future, they are home decor.;)

Dessert58 likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If the seller misrepresented the items, you may have some luck. And there are a number of old threads here re similar if you want to take the time.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted