Featured Miniature Painting - How old?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mat, May 22, 2016.

1. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

I bought this miniature painting (the painting itself is only 7.8 x 4,6 cm) and first thought It was one of the usual pieces from around 1900, but the longer I look at it the more I think it could actually be much older? The painting style reminds me of 17th-18th century. The frame is gilt bronze, and there is some writing on it, that makes no sense to me. The painting is covered by glass. What do you think about this? Thank you very much in advance!
    Mat

Min1.jpg

Min2.jpg

Min3.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's nice, but I think 1900 is about as far back as it would go.

3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Swiss, German, Austrian?

Mat, Brenda Anna and KingofThings like this.
  4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I can't make any sense of those letters either!
    They look like the Western alphabet, but... csso mcccs? Huh?
    I can't really tell much from the painting...
    Agreeing with Scout about likely landscape. Of course, an early style can be nicely imitated later.
    Looks to be an original framing, yes? If so, that's probably our best bet for dating it, and I don't know much about frames/glass/bronze/gilt. MOS, was that your main reason for saying 1990-ish?

Mat, scoutshouse and KingofThings like this.
  5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I thought *maybe* roman numerals? but no "s"

Mat and KingofThings like this.
  6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I went there too, Scoutster!

scoutshouse and KingofThings like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I like the painting, But there's something to the style that doesn't say 18thC to me. Looks like the frame is likely original to it, and that's post industrial revolution. I'm having a difficult time putting a finger on it. I do suspect a tourist view - a collection of stereotypical imagery: water cascading down mountains, rustic chalet, peasants in local costume. I find that very central tree rather odd; it so divides the picture in two.

KingofThings, scoutshouse and Mat like this.
  8. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thanks, MOS! I follow you!

KingofThings and scoutshouse like this.
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I wonder if this was a brooch at one point ?

10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Johnny, what clues you to that question, please?

11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The little bumps on either end .

12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Oh, wowwwwwwwwwwwwww... I see that now!!!!

13. Brenda Anna

Brenda Anna Well-Known Member

Lovely piece! Most curious about the initials.

14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Any idea what this is painted on? Otherwise my gut reaction is the same as moreotherstuff's...... 1900 or later.

15. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Good morning and thank you all for your comments! I do not know where to begin, but first, I agree that it is a generic scene, not a scenery existing somewhere in nature.
    The painting is quite nice, and many details do not show very well in the photos. Also the colours are not so dark in reality, but I couldn't capture that in the pictures. The only thing that is not so well done is indeed the location of the tree in the middle!
    I removed the back of it and I am not sure what to think about what I found. First the back is made of thick cardboard.
    The painting itself is not removable from the glass cover, and what can be seen on the inside is a piece of fabric that to my eyes looks like silk (?). I tend to think that the painting is actually done on the glass, and likely in oil, as I can see the characteristic crackles with a magnifying glass. Maybe the silk was rather added as a protective backing? On one place a bit of the painting has come off, and you can see that in the detail picture I post. The dark part there is the glass itself, then there is a white layer of paint visible, and on top of it the fabric.
    I do not think this has ever been a brooch, as there has not broken off something of the two pins. I rather believe it was attached to a kind of wooden frame that has been lost.
    Has anyone seen something comparable?
    Many thanks again, Mat

P.S:
    Sorry for the bad detail pictures, I was in a hurry and made them with my mobile phone...

MDet1.jpg

MDet2.jpg

MDet3.jpg

16. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Reverse painting on glass was a mid 19th C fashion, and I have a few examples but all full size pictures. This is the first miniature example I have seen. I should have spotted the technique earlier.

17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    When I start looked at it I thought it said Casa Mcees.
    greg

18. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Thank you afantiques, that sounds convincing! And the style would also fit in that period, I think. Ok, 17th/18th c seems to have been rather wishful thinking!. As to the inscription, maybe Casa Mcees, who knows...

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Much nicer than your typical reverse painting on glass. Took some practice to paint that thing.

20. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Draft saved Draft deleted