Miniature antique pewter spout lamp? Missing parts

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by tyeldom3, Jul 23, 2014.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Another item from the "don't know if it's worth listing, but let me double check" pile. Stands about 3 3/4" high. No marks found. The front perhaps has a coat of arms, but it is too worn to see any of it. Missing a top, and is there anything else missing? The little sticker was on the base. Any thoughts are appreciated, and thanks for your time.:cat:
    DSCN2100.JPG DSCN2101.JPG DSCN2102.JPG DSCN2103.JPG DSCN2084.JPG

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

That one is too odd not to try and find out what it is. I've not seen anything like it.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  3. tyeldom3

Thanks so much af. It is odd, isn't it. Maybe I should see if I can rub something on the coat of arms, or whatever that is, to try and make something of it. I'll see what I can do.
    Thanks again.

4. tyeldom3

I tried a few more pics. Some with white chalk, and some without. Thanks again for any and all help.:cat:
    Am I seeing some kind of beast with wings?
    DSCN2108.JPG DSCN2109.JPG DSCN2110.JPG DSCN2111.JPG

5. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I've seen the odd pedestal arrangement before. The type lamp is called simply a spout lamp, or pedestal spout lamp, circa early/mid 19th.. Similar arrangements found in brass too. The size is another thing. A period miniature would be very interesting. I don't know where they came from but they're obviously not American. Continental,...maybe French?

tyeldom3 likes this.
  6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

That's one malnourished chicken

tyeldom3 likes this.
  7. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I'm seeing a bird of some sort for sure.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  8. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

It looks like one of the many German/Bavarian eagles - like this one, only without the crown . . .

reichsadler0507092gif.gif

tyeldom3 likes this.
  9. afantiques

I see a double headed eagle. Single heads are usually central, double heads off center either side but one head appears partly erased.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  10. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I beg to differ about the number of heads, but at least we are on the same page.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't know if it is where the form originated but late 19th-20th century versions were sold as cigar lamps. I think if you search that term you will find similar examples.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Cool item... I don't remember seeing one before, either.

It looks to me like one head turned sideways, with an eye in the middle.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  13. tyeldom3

Wow, you all are so wonderful! Thanks Pat, Brad, Don, Messi, Terry & Af. I did find some similar under cigar lamps, and whale oil lamps. Lots of info from you all to help me further. With that mark (or what do you call that?), would that mean it was German or Bavarian in origin?
    Thanks all:kiss:

14. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I see a lion's head and wings? I like it what ever it is :)

tyeldom3 likes this.
  15. tyeldom3

Thanks Shiloh :kiss:

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  16. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I agree with Don? as to being called a "Spout" lamp; however, some refer to it as a form of a "snotnose" or snotneus lamp. Snotnose lamps burned "colza or similar oil - fish/whale oil stank too much and so they used vegetable oil." The snotnose lamps were used for centuries on the continent and in England. I believe they originated with the Dutch? They can be seen in brass, pewter and tin. Here are examples.

The following query on the LampGuild forum identified this lamp as a snotnose/snotneus. Do read the replies posted by a John England that start at the 3rd reply on down.
    http://lampguild.org/QandApage/archives/Q0000954.php

Here is what I call a spout lamp - like yours:
    http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7102051
    17th down on the right:
    http://www.hapmoore.com/05.31.08/lighting.html

I usually think of the following as snotnose lamps rather than yours:
    http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/copper-whale-oil-lamp-from-holland-called-a
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Brass-Spout-Snotneus-Oil-Lamp-18th-19th-Century-/251263351057

As to if the mark, shield, has a single headed eagle or a double headed eagle, I can't tell. Anyways it is no doubt from Germany, Austria or that part of the world. With it missing the lid and possibly a lip around the end of the spout, I expect its worth minimal at best.

--- Susan

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    tyeldom3 and afantiques like this.
  17. afantiques

I have never seen such a lamp in England, and I have seen an awful lot of stuff over the years.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  18. tyeldom3

Susan thank you so very much. That is a great help, and I really appreciate it.
    :)

19. tyeldom3

Af, I take that as a compliment coming from you! I know you've seen a lot of interesting things, and have so much knowledge.:kiss:
    I just wish this one wasn't missing its parts.:(

Draft saved Draft deleted