Featured Milwaukee Chair Co Executive Chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by techbiker, Aug 8, 2023.

1. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

I just picked up this wonderful Milwaukee Chair Co ?executive? chair from a seller on Craigslist. Seller said this was her great-grandfather's personal chair at his business. The chair tilts (dual springs), swivels, and has a height adjustment. Aside from grime and varnish loss, the chair appears to be in good condition. It's pretty comfortable and feels very substantial.

The Milwaukee Chair Co base iron reads "patented 1914". Evidence suggests this chair was manufactured by the Milwaukee Chair Co., however I'm unsure about manufacturing date. The chair seems to have been recovered at one point (staples under the seat) but still has original hardware. The caster wheels were manufactured by the Faultless caster company, patent pending (need to look this up).

What are your thoughts on age, value, etc?

Thanks again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
    Aquitaine, Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Maybe as early as the 30s or as late as the 40s. Under $25 in my semi-rural Midwest location in this condition. Possibly more in or near a big city.

Figtree3, techbiker, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Seat's been nicely replaced, the back of the chair hasn't, looks like nice decent wear, and very serviceable!! I'd at least try one of the leather restorers on the back to cover some of the scratches on the back.....Nice!!

techbiker likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ultra comfy.....but the 4 legs r still a danger with those heavy springs !:eek:

techbiker likes this.
  5. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Great comfortable chair that will outlast nearly every modern office chair even though it’s already around 100 years old. If it were for sale here for around $100 someone might take it within a few months. Then again it could sit at $50 for a year unsold. It would just have to strike someone’s fancy. I bet it would for somewhere at or between those two numbers. I’d think it would be hard to get more. Great chair for the office though, you probably couldn’t find a better one in terms of comfort and functionality.

6. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the input! I probably paid too much (about $50 more than the typical Amazon made in China self-assemble executive chair), however this seems to fit my house's aesthetic and I'm on a tight schedule.

I will try cleaning and conditioning the back with leather care products. Since it sounds like I didn't buy Calvin Coolidge's chair (lol), I guess I'm also free to touch up the arms.

P.S. I'm jealous about the used furniture market in the Midwest! Seems like anything older than the 1950's here in DFW commands a premium. Probably because older furniture is likely bulky and shipped in?

P.P.S. Verybrad, I just read part of your thrift store furniture post. Holy moly, some of those prices on Victorian antiques are incredible!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
    Figtree3, verybrad and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd venture someone recovered your seat at some point........

like you stated....

it doesn't match the backrest...and the hardware is lost of all it's grime and oils..

verybrad likes this.
  8. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Nice chair!

I think it’s always nice to continue to use solid, vintage pieces like this than buy modern stuff. Enjoy!

techbiker and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted