MilkeeP - I’ve had this thing for years, what is it?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Jan 20, 2024.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Should I take the name literally. Did it keep milk? It’s insulated, could it have kept a single bottle of milk cold while being delivered or on the porch? It never occurred to me it could be this until today. I’m not convinced though. I thought maybe for hot coals but it’s so small. Neither the name or manufacturer yielded much for me. I see a Frank by that name lived in Acton but that’s about all. Has anyone had a Vic’s Milkeep before!? It’s probably around 12”-15” tall or so. Came in a lot of random dirty basement stuff. 40A3753B-4558-4EB7-BE3F-864B15E6D26C.jpeg EFCFC77D-2920-4FF2-A4F5-1751C3DD4EB7.jpeg 57364F38-1CFF-4835-BE4B-9A7E7FFF1187.jpeg

bercrystal and Roaring20s like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I would guess a milk thermos.

Figtree3, J Dagger and Roaring20s like this.
  3. J Dagger

As in a portable vessel for consuming liquid away from home? Specifically made for milk vs. other liquids?

moreotherstuff likes this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1922 trade ad.

Debora

Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 7.17.07 PM.jpeg

J Dagger, Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

No idea. Looks like there's no latch. Does the ring around the center suggest that it sat in some kind of receptacle (like a hole in a counter)? Is it a situation where you want some milk kept cold, or hot, while you dole it out sparingly?

The fact that Milk is in the name does suggest that milk was the intent.

J Dagger likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree with above. What is the lid's lining made of?

Debora

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looks like there's a crack in the inside layer. It does appear to be a thermos or something like that.

komokwa likes this.
  9. J Dagger

I hadn’t seen it thanks. I always get those links but I never know how to get to the exact page that has the info I was searching for. I find myself seeing how much patience I have to flip through and scan pages. Is usually get through 20-30. There has to be a way to get to the relevant page. Maybe you can share?

10. J Dagger

11. J Dagger

The counter thing is possible as far as the ring goes. Not sure if it’s big enough to hold something in place but it could be.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  12. J Dagger

I’m not sure exactly what it is. Masonite or something. Hopefully not asbestos.

13. J Dagger

I believe it’s a seam. I can’t imagine this held liquid directly. Quite possible it held something that held liquid though.

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Could a quart of milk fit in it?

Debora

J Dagger likes this.
  15. i need help

It just usually brings up the page, with searched term highlighted.

J Dagger likes this.
  16. J Dagger

Maybe I’m confusing my sites. One site does that for me usually but others show relevant information in the search engine results but once I click the link they bring me to the first page of the book, like the flyleaf or title page. I can’t recall which pages do which. Google highlights probably and archives.org and another site bring me to the first page I think.

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. J Dagger

Probably so. I’ll check later.

18. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Milk box for the delivery man to leave your bottle in on your steps. Keeps from freezing and/or keeps cool.

19. i need help

I just put my search term in Google and click on Books, then scroll to one that has term, click and it opens to proper page.

20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd think it a bit unwieldy and labor intensive for a milk box and how many households would receive only one bottle of milk?

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted