Featured Milk glass with red swirl bowl - twisted - ruffled rim

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Sep 17, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

This bowl has a flat unpolished bottom - no pontil scar or mold marks either that I can find. Any ideas on origin? It's about 9 1/2" wide at the top. Base is 2 1/2" wide. Just over 4" tall. Thanks once again!

~

36509992810_14e0de9558_k.jpg 36735992342_f139de1ded_k.jpg 36098385293_0ba0a79235_k.jpg 36098386123_595df5fe68_k.jpg 36906678915_f0775deb88_k.jpg 36766924671_b552371471_k.jpg

EddieG, judy, i need help and 3 others like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It's like splatter glass on milk glass.
    Not sure I have ever seen anything like that.

3. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Spatter. not splatter.

When the glass is first gathered the gather is rolled in frit (chips of glass,) they are marvered (rolled on a marver until flush with the surface) then the piece is finished, in this case blown into a ribbed mold, then opened up, flared and ruffled.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

And of course I knew that, but these days my fingers have mind of their own. Type misspelled words and words I've never heard of. Takes forever to type a post, because of all the corrections I have to make. Missed that one.

5. aaroncab

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

nice piece Aaron:) here is a bit of information on the label and date of the piece. Your doesn't have a label, but I would assume it would be from the same time
    For 1974 and 1975, Chalet’s presence in the American market was handled solely by one of the largest distribution companies in the world, Riekes Crisa in Omaha, Nebraska. Chalet glassware marketed by Riekes Crisa had black and silver stickers shaped like an artist’s palette that read “HANDCRAFTED IN CANADA RIEKES CHALET LEAD CRYSTAL OVER 24% LEAD CONTENT” with the Riekes Crisa logo.

Bakersgma, aaroncab and i need help like this.
  7. aaroncab

Thanks CX! - I was wondering if Riekes was a retailer or just the importer, sounds like the latter. The glass surely does look to me to be the same.

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Too funny - I'm just looking on the Art Glass FB page and a piece of this glass is listed for sale. I've never seen it before and now I'm seeing 3 pieces:)

Draft saved Draft deleted