Milk Glass Bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Josh, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Milk glass leaf shaped bowl. Measures 14 1/2" long, 7 3/8" wide and is 3 1/4" deep.

DSCF8353 - Copy.JPG DSCF8354 - Copy.JPG DSCF8355 - Copy.JPG DSCF8356 - Copy.JPG DSCF8357 - Copy.JPG

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Looks like a creamer or gravy boat.

3. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Kind of looks like one but it is 14 1/2" long, so I would think it would be to big.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I know zip about glass, but am wondering about the irregular places on underside near handle-someone educate me here-are those defects which make this like a "factory second?" Or a poorly-made modern piece from overseas somewhere?

5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

At that length, it may be for bread or rolls. Something passaroundable...

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Spring, it's simply that the mould has been used many times.

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I decided to google images and your photos kept coming up so it's amazing how quickly things here hit google searches. I did see one that looked like yours that had been listed on One Kings Lane as 50s but no other information.

I did want to let you know that while I know zip about milk glass I do have a book by Newbound on the subject and your bowl isn't in the book. Sorry, not any help I know but I did check.

8. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Thanks yes that is a possible explanation, I guess what I'm really thinking is that in the U.S., a clearly flawed item like that would normally be smashed and thrown back into the oven. I would also think that at least in the U.S., a mould would have been discarded or repaired before it got to the point of making very obviously distorted products like the one pictured. So I'm guessing that piece wasn't made in USA, but maybe " mecho en Mexico" or elsewhere overseas.

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

hmmm....are you seeing flaws? I think I'm just seeing a bamboo type pattern (but I've been known to miss the obvious :shame:).

10. Ownedbybear

It's not a flaw - the nice thing about even moulded older glass is that no two pieces may be identical. For example, as Whitefriars wooden moulds got worn, the vases and such varied. You can sometimes tell the age from that.

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Fruit jars also had mould problems. I have an old Mason's with the N carved backwards.
    greg

12. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

I would like to thank everyone for the help. Bowl reminds me of something from the 1940's-1960's when milk glass was popular. I guess I will just keep looking.

13. gregsglass

Hi Josh,
    All I can say is I have seen thousands of pieces of milk glass but nothing like yours. I am thinking it must be European. I have friends that collect the stuff and even they do not know.
    greg

14. Ownedbybear

Hm. Just realised the shape is a pap boat.

15. gregsglass

Hi Bear,
    It may be pap shaped but it is over 14" long! I would not like to meet that invalid.:eek:
    greg

16. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I agree with what Josh and Gregsglass said. I'll add that it is probably fairly heavy to hold too and the "lip" doesn't look shaped right nor large enough to actually direct something into one's mouth.

Draft saved Draft deleted