Military Strap or belt?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by wek, Nov 12, 2015.

1. wek

wek Member

I have been trying to identify this strap or belt . I think it is military related because it was also with my uncles collection. I was told possibly a belt for carrying gold in from out west and mabe quite valuable. I was not able to verify that. Any new thoughts from the forum?
    Thanks uploadfromtaptalk1447373147572.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1447373173586.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1447373219362.jpg

KingofThings and lauragarnet like this.
  2. wek

wek Member

The leather is very soft , and fragile. Like doeskin.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I could see that possibility.
    If that was for gold, and full, would be quite heavy then...no?
    Surely there's the tiniest bit of dust in there then...............?

komokwa likes this.
  4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Hi Wek, it looks a lot like the following one that is described as

"Period Gold Nugget Belt
    $2,200.00
    Much rarer than the belts with pockets for coins. Tan leather shows age but is solid. I've left it dry but you can add lesther preservative if desired. A flap by buckle (flap button gone) covers opening for nuggets. Belt billet covers flap when belt is buckled. Total length 36". Superb gold rush item."

Nowwww, I know nothing about these, so don't know if the seller knows what they are talking about, or just "talking out his elbow." Anyways, yours appears to have the same shape flap. The leather may be soften deer skin? As to the price, it seems like wishful thinking to me.

2th item:
    https://www.sweeney-emporium.com/cg...pydksn7lr5e8jcutx6alndv7fzecr&s=site&&p=15753

--- Susan

wek and KingofThings like this.
  5. wek

wek Member

Thanks so much Susan for the information and website.
    That certainly does look very similar and even if its worth close to that it good news. Thanks AGAIN for your help in researching. I really do appreciate it.
    L.H

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  6. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

My very first thought was money belt.
    Cali. gold rush stuff is HIGHLY desirable. (That price might not be nuts. High end stuff.)
    WW II would be pretty good too I would think.
    Whatever period it's a cool find.

wek likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted