'Milcast' Lamp ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Drew, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Looking for info on the MILCAST company ? lamp base marked 'Milcast - copyright 1926' & 'MG33' s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are many who will be happy to help you learn more about your lamp but you are going to have to help us by posting additional photographs. A photograph of the entire lamp base, for instance. And close-ups of hardware such as socket, chain, etc.

Debora

Ghopper1924, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Found it ~ Milwaukee Grey Iron Foundry.
    content.png

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You now know that Milcast was in business from at least 1926, when they applied for a patent, until 1929 when they were featured in that year's Catalogue of Copyright Entries.

Debora

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Milcast was the foundry that made the base. They would not have been the seller of the lamp.
    We need to see if it is a glass or pottery lamp.

Lamp companies bought from the foundry, the glass company/ceramic company, the electrical parts. Then assembled them all together and sold them under the Lamp Co. name.

6. clutteredcloset49

Just noticed this has been rewired. Looks like there was originally a switch where the cord goes through the base. So maybe someone used the base to make their own lamp. Won't know until we see the entire lamp.
    upload_2019-4-21_16-35-27.png

i need help likes this.
  7. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Pretty typical of the late 20's . . . iron, alabaster with brass hexagon extenders. Socket also dates to the era and not later then the 30's. Wiring likley from the 50s or 60s. Looking to buy it and just wanted to know where Milcast had been located. s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    KikoBlueEyes and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

39th Avenue and Mitchell Street, Milwaukee.

Debora

9. clutteredcloset49

I'm not a lamp person, to me that is a total mish mosh of parts. The cast iron angels don't fit with the brass
    I don't think there would have been a harp on top of a floor lamp.

Calling @verybrad

10. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Anything's possible in conversions of the past, but the base has a diameter of 8" which is smaller than most all floor lamps. Pictured here is another 'Milcast' lamp - close to same size (27"), same winged cherubs center piece. This one has brass electroplating over iron. . . s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Don't see anything wrong with this base. Table lamp made in the manner of the more typical floor lamps. Think the top socket and harp are later additions. Ironically, I think the second lamp has been modified as well. Would expect a two socket configuration such as this.
    [​IMG]

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Here is another lamp with the same base as the second that has not been modified
    [​IMG]

Drew likes this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

Guess I missed the measurements of your first lamp.
    I assumed a floor lamp and not a table lamp.

The more information you give us when asking a question - the more accurate the answers given will be.

Draft saved Draft deleted