Middle Eastern? Hookah Base

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by cc89, Dec 21, 2022.

1. cc89

cc89 Active Member

Hey all,

Curious if anyone can tell me anything about this hookah base. I haven't been able to find any similar examples. Or maybe its not a hookah base?

Appears quite old, made of bronze. I guess that three hoses would connect to the features on the body that appear to be in the form of dragon heads..? And a bowl would screw onto the top.

hook 1.PNG hook 2.PNG hook 3.PNG hook 4.PNG hook 5.PNG hook 1.PNG hook 2.PNG hook 3.PNG hook 4.PNG hook 5.PNG

Cheers!

Cal

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like a vessel to pour two cups of liquid at once..
    more likely brass......

Any Jewelry and cc89 like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like a kendi to me, possibly Malay.
    Although most kendis are used to drink water from, some are used to pour water on guests' hands, and others are used for holy water.

If you search for brass kendi you'll find a lot of variations on single and double spouts, although I haven't yet seen this particular model.

komokwa and cc89 like this.
  4. cc89

cc89 Active Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

komokwa and cc89 like this.
  6. cc89

cc89 Active Member

I can see why you love them :) There are some really beautiful, mystical objects originating from Malaysia aren't there. I really love their Keris's

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

The Malay world in general, and especially Indonesia.
    My favourites are Javanese and Madurese keris, because their emphasis is on the spiritual aspect, but Malay keris are certainly beautiful.

It is also worth googling the Patani keris from Thailand, a relative unknown in 'keris land', but certainly a beauty. The Patani region was once part of the East Javanese Majapahit empire, hence the presence of keris.

komokwa likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

An example from Thailand, my rare buffalo horn Patani keris hilt:

DSC01380 - kopie.JPG

komokwa likes this.
  9. cc89

cc89 Active Member

I didn't know that there were Keris's from Thailand, their quite special. Love your buffalo horn hilt. I lived in Malaysia for a few years and have visited southern Thailand. I noticed the similarities in culture but didn't know the reason.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Borders are often artificial, and etnicities and cultures don't stop at borders. The people in the southern tip of Thailand are ethnically Malay and mainly Islamic. It is the old kingdom and sultanate of Patani, which was invaded by the Thai in the 18th century.

cc89 likes this.