Middle East Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rhiwfield, Feb 7, 2017.

1. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

At a recent auction we bought several pieces of interesting pottery including an anti slavery jug, a della robbia charger, a clews & co chameleon ware vase and an 1847 Naomi and her daughters in law jug. As most of the auction was from a single house clearance we are keen not to miss any other pottery gems and we have three pieces that we would like help with.

The first is a 12" twin handle (vase/ewer?) that we think is middle east (Persian/Turkish?) and probably 19th century. It is signed to base, also with an indistinct impressed mark. The greyish earthenware body is exposed at the neck.

Knowing the country of origin would be great, maker would be unbelievable!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The script is Devanagari script, used in India and Nepal.
    I agree, the style has some Persian influence, so I would say India, Indo-Persian style.

3. rhiwfield

Many thanks Any Jewelry, I didn't expect that!

Just trying to get my head round a potential Indian maker and wondered whether this is Bombay School of Art Pottery. The impressed oval is the same shape as they used and the vase appears similar to some of their output.

Are you able to translate the script?

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Sorry, can't help you there, I just recognised the script and the general style.

rhiwfield likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Got a local Indian restaurant? (Not Bangladeshi, genuine Indian.)

6. rhiwfield

I asked for a translation of the base script on our local hub and was told

"it says 'Shree Ra Go' Most probably is 'Shree Radhey Govinda' (another name for Hindu God Krishna)"

I'm not sure that gets me much further forward but it is interesting none the less!

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted