Featured midcentury GLASS blown bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Steven S., May 7, 2017.

1. Steven S.

Steven S. Well-Known Member

It's two colors, pale amber and teal/aqua aaaDSC05873 (1).jpg . Polished pontil. About `12" by 9" by 4". Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks aaaDSC05868 (1).jpg

gen belli, cxgirl and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Steven S.

anyone have any ideas on this? thanks!

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

No idea. Looks Mid-Century Modern in style but really could have been done anytime. Without having it in hand, it's hard to tell much about it. It's pretty.

gen belli likes this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Is the footed base part (only) made of cobalt blue glass and then covered on the underside with a turquoise colored glass overlayment - is that what I am looking at?

Is the turquoise colored glass opalescent?

5. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

It looks familiar, I think I've seen something like it in orange and yellows. I'm not able to put a name to it.

6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

This was made by Fostoria Glass and the pattern is Hawaiian.

7. msgood2shoe

Thanks Ola, after I posted I thought it might be Fostoria, but I didn't see it in the book I thought it was in. Now that you gave the name I was, of course, able to find it. It was in a different part of the book then I expected. Mystery solved.

Here is some more info on the pattern, Line 2737, made from 1961 - 1963 came in amber and brown, and amber with peacock blue, which is your combo. The shape is 266 15"Oval Bowl. I know you gave the size as 12", but since each piece is hand shaped after removal from the mold, there can be size differences.

gen belli and cxgirl like this.
  8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

msgood, thanks for posting the addl information. I can't believe my senior citizen brain brought up the pattern name instantly, without a book. That hardly ever happens. But when I went to find it in a book, I couldn't. Thus, the skinny post.

Steven, I've always liked this pattern. It's really different and sooo mid-century.

gen belli and cxgirl like this.
  9. Steven S.

Thanks much!! Any idea on ballpark value?

10. msgood2shoe

In general, it can be difficult to value items, as it depends on where you sell them. I saw that different shaped bowl in your color combo, which IMHO is the one that most people would prefer, sold in the $30 range. The book I got the info from has a BV of $75, but IMHO that seems high in today's market.

Steven S. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted