Mid Century Signed Tall Pottery White Vase/Cup

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by antiquelover69, Mar 10, 2023.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

Here's another one I have no idea who the maker is.It is signed.Really a neat item.Any idea.
    SAM_0220.JPG SAM_0214.JPG SAM_0214.JPG SAM_0217.JPG SAM_0218.JPG SAM_0219.JPG

Figtree3 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It is an interesting item. The first word looks like "Mime" or "Minie" and the second word looks like it starts with "Da" but that's all I can tell. I hope somebody can help!

antiquelover69 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks vaguely familiar, but I can't tell you why.

Figtree3 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  4. antiquelover69

I looked up Mimi Dann but don't know if that's the name.I think her name now is Mimi Dann Semmes or something like that.Could that be it.Just found out she is from Memphis Tn

LauraGarnet02 and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That's an interesting find... Her name was Mimi Semmes Dann, and she passed away in 2017. Her obituary says
    "At age 46, Mimi decided to turn her ceramics hobby into a full-time career. She is known for her thin-walled sculptural porcelain bowls. She was the recipient of numerous awards, and her work is held by Brooks Museum of Art and the Indianapolis Museum of Art, as well as in many private collections throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia." Obit here: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/commercialappeal/name/mimi-dann-obituary?id=16776781

The item you have is not thin-walled, nor porcelain. It is somewhat sculptural., though. And the signature on yours looks enough like this known set she made (signed Mimi Dann) that it is worth considering. https://www.etsy.com/listing/134529...how_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

Yours could have been an earlier work, or just one that was different from what she generally did. Her obit says she had an educational background in fine arts.

LauraGarnet02 and antiquelover69 like this.
  6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

7. antiquelover69

8. antiquelover69

Thanks so much! I didn't know she had passed and I live in Memphis.I have a few more of her items,I've had for years.But with downsizing storages,I will have to look for them again lollol.Great informatiion.

Bakersgma, Figtree3 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted