Mid-century painting, help with name?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Jeff Drum, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I picked this up because it seemed pretty well done (though with some obvious damage) and was signed and dated. I included the signature from a similar painting too. But I can't make any sense of the signature; the letters don't seem to go together into a recognizable name, so I'm thinking possibly asian or eastern european? Any guesses?
    P9212943.JPG P9212946.JPG P9212944.JPG P9212941.JPG P9212942.JPG P9212940.JPG P9212945.JPG

Scruffy2000 likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Searches come up with Serbian, Kroatian, and Rumanian.
    So, calling @Branka and @Xristina .:)

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The surname Kecati is most commonly found in India according to the internet.

Debora

TraceyB, Jeff Drum, blooey and 2 others like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Could be.
    When I searched further I found the surname Kécati in Lebanon and Syria.

TraceyB, Jeff Drum and i need help like this.
  6. i need help

Jeff is in Boston, Mass area.
    If only we could find some other works by her.

TraceyB, Jeff Drum and Lucille.b like this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

She's a dead ringer alright

8. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Not Serbian or Croatian.

9. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Apostrophe on e’ in Kecati may be a clue on language/name origin.

10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I find it unusual that the little mark above the e - is gray in the top painting, but all dark and brown in the bottom one. Just unusual, odd to see it done that way, that's all.

11. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Same dot above e’ appears in green picture.

12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes, that's the one I said, "all dark and brown in the bottom" painting, just very odd that the artist didn't want that apostrophe to stand out in your painting. It's unusual and surely the artist had some method to that madness, but I have no idea what!

13. i need help

Can we see the other painting, please?

TraceyB, Jeff Drum and Lucille.b like this.
  14. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Disregarding the spelling, (which was probably anglicised anyway) it occurs to me this is a painting from the village of Kecati (Kekati) in India, painted by H. Gasti. Gasti is also an Indian surname BTW.

Kekati is a small Village/hamlet in Nagar Taluka in Ahmednagar District of Maharashtra State, India. It comes under Shahapur Panchayath. It belongs to Khandesh and Northern Maharashtra region . It belongs to Nashik Division . It is located 5 KM towards East from District head quarters Ahmednagar. 235 KM from State capital Mumbai

Kekati is surrounded by Ahmednagar Taluka towards west , Parner Taluka towards west , Rahuri Taluka towards North , Pathardi Taluka towards East .

Ahmednagar , Rahuri , Pathardi , Shirur are the near by Cities to Kekati.

15. Jeff Drum

Amazing job INH, as always! Thank you! I had spent some time without finding anything. I believe you are right that it is Hilda G. Kecati in Brookline; painting was found in a Boston area estate cleanout so it fits perfectly.

Although she worked as an artist, I can't find any of her work on liveauctioneers, and no entry in askart, so it appears she didn't break through. I could buy the other painting super-cheap, but not clear to me it is worth it? What do you think? Here it is:
    P9212939.JPG P9212938.JPG

16. i need help

Maybe you can find some of her family members and reach out.

That one is interesting with boats in the background.

Are those actual cabs on the earrings? They look 3D.

Lucille.b, Jeff Drum and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. i need help

I would guess as an investment, maybe not profitable, but if you enjoy it for yourself, always a good investment.

Jeff Drum and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Jeff Drum

They are indeed applied on top, so kind of mixed media. I always assume that things that go in an estate cleanout are not interesting to the family, though I have no idea what estate these would have come from, so could have been in other hands since the 60's. If she sold her work, I would have thought I would see some indications in liveauctioneers, but maybe that is another bad assumption. I don't do facebook or ancestry so don't have any way to track people down, would be happy to get them back, however.

Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  19. Scruffy2000

Scruffy2000 New Member

My name is Tina (or Thuy) from Sydney, Australia. My husband & I lived in the apartment above Hilda in Quincy. We were young newlyweds & had moved to the US for my husband's work. Hilda was like family & we did everything together despite the difference in ages.

I recognise her signature on your painting. I should have photos somewhere of some other paintings. I will post them as soon as I find them and tell you more about her history. Sadly she did pass away a few years ago and the obituary link someone has posted is of Hilda.

20. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I’m always fascinated how this site not only pulls the world together (so needed!) but more so how some of the most seemingly obscure questions get resolved. Thanks for posting Tina!

Draft saved Draft deleted