Mid-Century Hand Painted Vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KevinM, Apr 22, 2016.

1. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

I purchased this vase a few years ago and have never been able to find out much about it. The vase measures about 8" in height, 4" top rim diameter, about 6" in width at it's widest point and 3 3/4" diameter on the bottom. It has a floral hand painted design and looks like it's signed "LB" on the bottom (I'm not sure).

The vase is very thin and somewhat translucent when held up to the light and almost seems like it was molded out of some kind of bone china but I'm not sure. I suspect the vase would date to sometime around mid-century but again I'm not sure.

Does anyone know who made the vase, when and where it was made or anything else about it?

Thanks!
    Kevin
    HPIM3112.JPG HPIM3114.JPG HPIM3116.JPG HPIM3117.JPG HPIM3118.JPG HPIM3119.JPG HPIM3120.JPG HPIM3121.JPG

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Reminds me of the hobbyist painted china. Perhaps some one painted the piece later on. The flowers reminded me of when I tried decorating china back in the early 60s.
    greg

3. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Greg, it's possible it was painted at a later time, the signed part of it is in a darker color. It's just that I have not seen a composite used in this vase on any other vases. Certainly not like the heavier cast student plaster types I've seen. This does resemble a bone china or even a porcelain type composite, it's very thin and the top rim is somewhat uneven and out of round if you look closely. The vase is fairly light too.
    Kevin

Draft saved Draft deleted