Mid 20th century Japanese vase? Is this tenmoku glaze?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Eupatorian, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Eupatorian

Eupatorian New Member

This Japanese vase is 7" tall and about 7" in diameter. It has a Kasama sticker on bottom. I'm guessing it is mid-20th century-ish. Was curious if the main glaze is tenmoku. Also wondering about the tan glaze and how one would describe it. Any insights are appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

komokwa likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, @Eupatorian! Could you please go back and edit your nice looking small images to FULL SIZE images......this should help if you need it!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

zTutorialForIMAGES2.jpg

3. Eupatorian

Eupatorian New Member

IMG_0130-001.JPG IMG_0128-001.JPG IMG_0140-001.JPG IMG_0137-001.JPG IMG_0128-001.JPG

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Aquitaine and judy like this.
  4. KentWhirled

KentWhirled Well-Known Member

KaSiMa is likely the name of the export/import company but Google keeps making it “Kashima!” Looks to be a Japanese import from the 1970s to 1990s I think. Lovely glaze.

judy likes this.
  5. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

6. Eupatorian

Eupatorian New Member

Thanks KentWhirled and thefathand! The label does say Kasama, not Kasima. Some grime is obscuring the middle A a bit, making it appear like an I. The info is helpful...I'm going to study it!

KentWhirled and judy like this.
  7. KentWhirled

KentWhirled Well-Known Member

Ha, ha! Kasama it is! I took a look at google images and found the site below which is an short informal article with some pix about Kasama-yaki. I’ve learned something and I quite like the wide variety of wares! The last photo show some lovely glazes that look a wee bit like yours.

http://www.e-yakimono.net/html/kasama.html

Draft saved Draft deleted