Mexico Hammered Copper? Plate With Stand What Is It?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Kevolee, Aug 29, 2022.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, I am not sure exactly what I have here. I believe it is hammered copper but the dark color is throwing me off. Also the hammer marks seem larger than typical and sort of crescent shaped. The stand has Hecho En Mexico painted on it in white. It also has marks where an electric grinder was used to remove the excess welding. It measures around 14 1/4" in diameter. Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

m1.JPG m3.JPG [/ATTACH] m4.JPG m2.JPG m5.JPG m6.JPG m7.JPG

Potteryplease and wlwhittier like this.
  2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Not the stand, so much, but the hammered bowl is a stunner. From your pics it seems to be quite uniformly shaped.
    A thing about copper (and silver, for that matter) that fascinates me is that they work-harden. To shape that piece may have taken several annealings to allow the shape to form without cracking.
    Try a magnet, just to rule out ferrous alloys...if it's non ferrous, it is almost certainly copper or an alloy of copper.
    I like it...a lot! Thank you...

3. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Well, I should have thought of trying a magnet. It does indeed attract a magnet so I guess that rules out copper. I've found similar that are used for cooking, but those all have handles and have stands that would elevate it over a fire. This stand looks to be made just to display whatever it is.