Mexican/South American relic for ID pls

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Raji, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Raji

Raji Member

Optimized-20180314_182415.jpg Optimized-20180314_182335.jpg Optimized-20180314_165052.jpg not sure what this is.
    came as part of my earlier lot. Has some markings/signature on the front and side.
    Any info is always appreciated.

Thanks

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Raji and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Not Pueblo. No way is this Pueblo pottery.
    Could be Mexican, like @2manybooks says.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Raji

Raji Member

the writing says ' m Ricnerdoa ..and the date 1928

I will change the title to 'Mexican/South American' for better clarity
    Thanks

stracci likes this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

An article by Thomas H. Charlton - "Modern Ceramics in the Teotihuacan Valley" - seems to describe your object quite well. The article is included in Ethnic and Tourist Arts: Cultural Expressions from the Fourth World, edited by Nelson Graburn. University of California Press, 1977, (pgs. 139-140):

One variety of pottery produced is "polished black with incised designs into which a white pigment has been rubbed".... "The forms of the unglazed pottery vary, but frequently emphasize "archaeological" themes such as pyramid forms, dishes with variations of the Aztec calendar stone, elaborate figurines, and vessels with figurine heads applied as decorative elements. These wares appear to be designed for the tourist trade rather than domestic use....The incised white-on-black ware dates back at least to the 1880s and may have started as early as the beginning of the nineteenth century."

stracci and Raji like this.
  6. Raji

Raji Member

Thank you 2manybooks, you may be right. Appreciate taking the time to research the info!

dang! .. my Goodwill pile is getting bigger :(

2manybooks and stracci like this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I really think it’s attractive, even if it’s a tourist item. I hope it doesn’t end up in the pile. :(

Raji likes this.
  8. Raji

Raji Member

I share your sentiments. Wifey has to choose as to who ends up in the pile :)

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted