Featured Mexican Red Clay Slip-Glazed Water Jug & Cover

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, Jul 10, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

The vessel is ~12 1/2" high overall, ~10" wide; the neck is ~4 1/2" long, the base is ~6 1/4" diameter. It weighs ~4 lb 10 oz.
    Somehow I have the idea that these are called Ola (O-yah) in Spanish, but cannot now confirm that. The exterior burnishing may obscure what I strongly suspect is a coil-built body. The cover seems to be only for keeping insects an' misc. debris from getting inside, an' shows the same clay an' slip finish as the vessel, otherwise it doesn't appear to belong to it...but it was with it 35 years ago when I got it from a friend, a retired Southwest cultural scholar who had acquired the jug in Mexico in the 1940's. That's about all I know to tell y'all about it. I welcome your comments an' observations. Thanks for lookin'!

P1410867.jpeg P1410868.jpeg P1410869.jpeg P1410871.jpeg P1410872.jpeg P1410876.jpeg P1410870.jpeg P1410875.jpeg P1410874.jpeg P1410873.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Correction for your post. It's olla (pronunciation oy-ya.) An ola is a wave.

I'm not too familiar with that shape and doesn't look particularly Mexican to me but not my area of expertise. Here's a very similar water jug in polychrome from México.
    50333771_1_x.jpg.jpeg

An olla is typically used to describe a cooking pot like those below.

Ollas_0002.jpg.jpeg

Your piece might better described as a botellón (big bottle) or cántaro de barro (clay pitcher or jug.) This listing uses both names.

https://www.aztlanherbalremedies.co...MIk_al7LSdhwMVrM_CBB2TRQMKEAQYAiABEgIh_fD_BwE

Debora

Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

These, when made by Pratt and other Devon potteries, were called water monkeys. Some designed by Dresser.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

How fab! Didn't know that term.

Debora

wlwhittier likes this.
  5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Very good, Debora...Thanks!

How fab! Didn't know that term.

Neither did I...

Draft saved Draft deleted