Featured Mexican Iguana Pottery Dish: done anyone recognize this signature?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Carnivant, Aug 8, 2024.

1. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

Hello!

This is another piece I acquired early on in my thrifting adventures. I liked it then; still like it now. However, while the signature is very clear, I have yet to identify it. Probably nothing too special, but I was wondering if anyone here happens to recognize it.

I am just assuming this is Mexican based on the style. It is approximately 12.5" across and there are no markings on the back, which has been painted black by whoever made this. It is in very good condition, and the only indication of the ceramic colour is inside the back hoop (unpainted there), which seems to be a tan colour. Not sure if that helps, but might as well mention it. :)

Thank you for your time!

20240808_105636.jpg 20240808_105644.jpg 20240808_105715.jpg 20240808_105653.jpg

Figtree3, kentworld, Boland and 4 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I have seen Continental European ceramics in a similar style. Same colours and various lizard species.
    A very nice, quirky dish.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't see México.

Debora

Figtree3 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  4. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

Interesting. I haven't been able to find many comparable non-Mexican pieces to this, but I'll keep looking, of course. Thank you both!

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

But you're finding comparable Mexican pieces? Would you be kind enough to post some examples?

Debora

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  6. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

Oh yeah no problem. I'll include some below.

More generally speaking, I am looking at the style of the iguana, the way its painted/glazed, and the material of the dish. For example, I have found some orange-based iguana dishes from Denmark, but they tend to be a lot glossier, and the feet of the iguanas never seem as well defined. Doesn't mean it's not Danish--just that I haven't found a closely comparable one from that particular country.

And in regards to the material of the dish... it just seems Central American to me, with most iguana stuff seemingly coming out of Mexico specifically. However, I am no expert, hence why I said Mexico was my assumption. x)

All of the following are signed by different Mexican artists (none having anything close to the signature on my piece though):
    JORGE.jpg GONZALEZ.png AMAR.png OOAK.jpg MACIAS.png
    (Jorge, Gonzalez, Amar, OOAK, and Macias)

When looking for images, I also found this unsigned piece, which I thought I should include as well. The Etsy lister says it is Mexican and from the 1950s. What stood out to me was that the base colour of the ceramic looks similar to mine. Now, being unsigned, the seller could have misidentified it, but I thought it might be helpful to include an example of the base colour as well.
    UNSIGNED.png
    (https://www.etsy.com/listing/1746098835/mexican-pottery-vase-handmade-iguana)

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not that it matters for our purposes, but the piece above appears to beis mis-dated. And yours is a decorative wall hanging? Is the hook metal or twine?

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

I would agree that the above piece is mis-dated.
    Mine is indeed meant for a wall. Here's how that part looks:
    20240810_123729.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted