Mexican Hammered Cooper Tray - Treasure or Scrap

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by KikoBlueEyes, Feb 24, 2023.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I tried to research this hammered tray with a brass (?) trim from Mexico. It is large at 12 inches long and 7.5 inches wide. I found something similar in design but stamped by an artisan. That piece was called vintage. There was another similar piece that is footed. Also called vintage.

My question is the mark on the bottom. One vendor said a similar mark was for a silver plated piece. Is this cooper plated? The Cobre (cooper) is stamped badly with an extra character or is really spelled coobre? None of this makes sense to me. Can anyone shed any light on this.

IMG_9518 (1).JPG IMG_9521 (1).JPG thumbnail_IMG_9528.jpg thumbnail_IMG_9529.jpg thumbnail_IMG_9519.jpg IMG_9523 (1).JPG IMG_9520 (1).JPG IMG_9519 (1).JPG

stracci and KSW like this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

plata is silver
    doesn't appear to be

judy likes this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Very confusing for sure. It was never silver plated. There is not a smidge of silver on it.

judy and KSW like this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The name of the maker is Industria Mexicana de Plata S.A. abbreviated to Ind. Mex. de Plata S.A. Seems the company is still in business in a village outside México, D.F. They do appear to work in silver but... Among other things, they also produce "silver plated brass articles." Here's a piece of theirs marked "Sterling" and "925." Dunno why "Cobre" would be mis-stamped.

https://live.mortonsubastas.com/en/...de-plata-s-a-detalles-de-conservaci-n-2968665

Debora

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 10.47.12 PM.png

6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Maybe it was wearing and someone chemically stripped what was left of the plating?

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought that a possibility too.

Debora

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

KSW likes this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent research. I have no clue how you find these things out. I really think this was never plated. There would have to be some residue somewhere. Also I found similar copper pieces, not from the same source though.

This one has the same brass edging - Mexican source

s-l300 (2).jpg

This cooper one does too, though it is footed. Also Mexican

s-l300.png

KSW likes this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

I think this was original copper. It is heavy, so I thought it might be cooper plated - plata. Thank you for your idea though.

KSW likes this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

No evidence of chemical damage or old silver in the place where the brass meets the cooper. I see by your original post that they covered brass with silver plate. This has a brass edge, so maybe there were covering brass with cooper.

KSW likes this.