Mexican agricultural pendant

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by 916Bulldogs123, Sep 26, 2016.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Hi all, i found this pendant the other day. one side I am pretty sure is the virgin Mary the other is Miguel Hidalgo. on the rim it reads Agricultura industria comercia measures 1 1/2" across.I am having trouble finding anything like this. I don't even have a clue to it's age.
    Mikey atree 16449.jpg
    atree 16448.jpg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

You probably won't find another like it.......... the "coin" has been saw pierced and engraved accents on the virgin Mary side.Most likely made by a hobbyist at some unknown location.

3. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

4. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I thank both of you for the information. So it was a coin at some point then made into this pendant. I never would of thought of that. At least i have an approximate age now. thanks again.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree anundverkaufen, it is the Virgen de Guadalupe, recognizable by the stars on her veil, apparently a representation of the night sky at the time she appeared on a shepards cloak, and by the hands folded in prayer.
    This is the Mexican Virgen de Guadalupe of course, the Spanish one is totally different.

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The coin may be from the 1950's but the cutting could be fairly recent.This type of modifying coins has been popular since at least the Victorian era.Google "cut coins" for many examples,Youtube also has many videos of the process.