Metallic mystery

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Chinoiserie, Mar 11, 2023.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

So I've unearthed another metallic enigma. It is made from copper with white metal embellishments. No marks. Just mystery. A snuff box perhaps? 20230311_175336.jpg 20230311_175343.jpg 20230311_175420.jpg 20230311_175357.jpg

wlwhittier, Roaring20s, Rec and 2 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a ghau, an amulet box/prayer box from the Himalayas.
    How big is it?

3. Chinoiserie

Wow. Your depth of knowledge astounds me. How do you know something so obscure?

Dimensions

8.5cm x 7cm x 4cm

4. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

5. Chinoiserie

It has holes in the top and bottom that go through both halves of it. I guess sacred stringy stuff is put through them to keep it shut. I have Googled it and there are some really nice ones out there. This is a bit crude and you can see where it has been beaten into shape. Still, it gives it character.

LauraGarnet02 and wlwhittier like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I only do obscure.:playful:
    Ghaus can be different sizes, materials and for different purposes. The one you found is a travel shrine, but not all ghaus are. Travel shrines can contain different sacred things. The prayer flags in the one you posted are not antique, the seller may have added them. My parents had a similar travel shrine with a Buddha inside.

Chinoiserie's ghau is meant to be worn as an amulet case, hence the loop. The shape is like that of a travel shrine, but this one would have been worn daily, for protection. It would have held things like a mantra, protective prayers, small rocks or herbs, or fabric with magic properties.

Other ghaus are round or other shapes. There are a few different ghaus in my 'Tibetan jewellery reference' thread:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/tibetan-jewellery-reference.58682/#post-3632306

stracci, komokwa and Chinoiserie like this.
  7. Chinoiserie

Fascinating info.

Any Jewelry likes this.