Metal vase w/ cloisonne? enameled? design -help with siggie please.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bercrystal, Jun 3, 2014.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I got this vase in a box lot & although it has damage I am hoping someone may want it just because it is a lovely little piece. It is 5 7/8" tall & is 1 11/16" across the bottom. It almost looks as if the stamp was double marked, but if anyone can help me out I would appreciate it very much.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BTW - I would just like to say a very large thank you to Peter for making picture posting absolutely the easiest thing ever!!!!!!

I just hope that the closeup of the mark is not too large. I left it in its original size (640x480) so that it could be easily read, but if this is too large just let me know.

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!!!

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say how lovely.

I'm guessing only here.
    I think it is Japanese.
    About 1910 - 1920

3. rro2000

rro2000 Active Member

It looks like ginbari cloisonné.

4. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

It is Ginbari Japanese cloisonne. Most do have some damage, so that's not uncommon. It's an attractive vase, even better since it's signed. Wish I could read the sig.

5. bercrystal

Pat - it is a lovely vase. The colors of the poppies against the dark blue background is just striking.

Thanks rro & moontymes!!!

Hopefully someone will come along & ID the mark.

6. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

Peggy -

I don't know the sig, but someone will purchase the vase absolutely on eBay (if that is the venue where it ends up). Several months back the Antiques board helped ID a vase I was flat-out going to toss, it was antique and I had purchased it for .50 cents. Turned out to be Ginbari (couldn't ID the signature on the base) and the vase was trashed - it was dented in a few spots, the glaze was cracked in several areas and in those spots it was clearly discolored. The board was firm it would sell. I listed it at auction for $24.99 with free shipping - 9 watchers, no bids. Relisted it at $24.99 FP with the BO option and within a week two offers came in the same day, both for $15.00, one domestically and one international.

Hope that helps some.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It may not be all that old; they're still making ginbari pieces. I have a few jewelry items done that way. The enamel is really pretty. Also fragile.

8. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

The mark is 服部 Hattori.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/3860548 (scroll down)

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/....aspx?intObjectID=1043108?intObjectID=1043108 (scroll down)

http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O1193014/pair-of-vases-hattori-tadasaburo/ (click to enlarge photos)

http://www.idcloisonne.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/taggedMarks/fab92000japanvase2.jpg

Do some more research, of course. Odd that such a prominent workshop would be so clumsy with the mark.

As you probably know, old cloisonne is usually damaged in some fashion, and those high prices almost certainly go for perfect pieces.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    FunkeysFinds and say_it_slowly like this.
  9. bercrystal

Thank you everyone!!!

funkeyfinds - I have no doubt this will sell & am not expecting it to bring what a undamaged piece would bring. I am already made more than I spent that night at the auction & have not even sold half of the items. So anything I sell this vase for goes in the profit column.

khl889 - I did find several examples of this mark on-line.

Draft saved Draft deleted