Metal Syrup Container - Figural Finial on Top

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by dgbjwc, Jan 9, 2015.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello everyone - I know nothing about syrup containers so any info you can provide me is much appreciated. It stands about 8 1/2" tall. I found a similar one made by Middletown but that one was marked and there are several differences. Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide.
    Don

Attached Files:

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Oh, very nice. I'm guessing the metal is pewter and not silverplate.
    I would date this from the mid to late 1800s

My gut reaction was English or French. But before I commented I googled, Didn't come up with very much. Possibly German, but I didn't check that out.

American - Manning Bowman company did a lot of enamel with silverplate and some pewter. But none of the handles I see are done in that shape. However, they did do a lot of pots with the metal one third up dividing the pot in two.

What I can not find them doing is anything with a person's head on top. More the 1870s-80s filigree and flowers (which I cannot think of the name for the period at the moment - something revival?)

So, I'm sticking with gut reaction of European.

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, clutteredcloset49. It is a neat little piece. I think you're right about pewter.

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Looks to me like an 1880ish pewter or Britannia-metal mounted enamelware syrup jug, suppose it could be European but I'd guess American - pretty sure that's a Meriden Britannia finial, can look later.

~Cheryl

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I found one that sold at auction in 2011 for $50. It was identified only as a Victorian Agate Enamelware Syrup Pitcher, Pewter. Thanks, Cheryl, it was the enamelware clue that let me find it.
    Don

6. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I have a Meridian syrup,identical shape and finial but I LOVE yours better. :)

7. spirit-of-shiloh

Well, mine is a bit different,same finial but I also have a head on the handle.Pat.1880,july 1,1873.

So is OP's around the same time frame?

8. DragonflyWink

Thanks, Shiloh - a new patent to add to my files, and more evidence of the interaction between silver manufacturers. I had an 1870s-80s syrup jug with only an 1865 patent date, same head, pics were lost to computer crash, but identical to this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/19145401037...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=191454010374&_rdc=1 - looked up the patent, belonging to a pair of New Yorkers, for the drip-guard spout (#50,620), and found the same 'Syrup Cup' in the 1886 Meriden catalog (don't have any Manning, Bowman catalogs), same heads also show up under Meriden's Rogers name: http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-...rs-quadruple-plate-figural-syrup-pitcher.html

The 1873 patent (#140,515) on your piece (assuming it's marked as Meriden) actually belonged to Manning, Bowman and the illustration shows the head in silhouette - Manning, Bowman did manufacture a 'Perfection' enamelware line, so would have to believe Don's piece is by Manning, Bowman.

Here's a page on Manning, Bowman enamelware: http://www.oldcoffeeroasters.com/images/manningbow/History/manning_bowman_agateware_history.htm

~Cheryl

1873 Manning, Bowman patent for 'Molasses-Pitchers':
    syruppitcher1873patent.JPG

From 1883 Meriden Britannia catalog, with jasperware body:
    syrupjug1883meriden.JPG

From 1886 Meriden Britannia catalog, showing the same '1865 patent' marked piece I had:
    syrupjug1886meriden-2.JPG

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

10. DragonflyWink

Looks like the one the OP referenced in post #5...

~Cheryl

11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Wow! Thank you everyone for your help!
    Don

12. spirit-of-shiloh

Cheryl,and others for info. here are some pics of mine,I have dried polish all over it as I became too lazy to finish it. :p
    DSCN2223.JPG
    DSCN2224.JPG
    DSCN2227.JPG
    DSCN2228.JPG
    DSCN2229.JPG

I made a mistake on the date on my earlier post. Mine is dated...Pat entered oct.24 1865
    July 1.1879

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Shiloh,
    I know you have a lot on your plate BUT at least soak it in warm soapy water for several hours and attack it with a soft toothbrush. You do not have to polish it but get rid of the white powder residue before it eats into the remaining silver. If that is too much trouble just send it to me and when it comes home it will be pretty again.
    greg

14. spirit-of-shiloh

Thanks Greg :) Its Pine Ola on it, it is a liquid, then after applied you buff off the residue powder. Also has a built in tarnish inhibitor.
    I didn't realize the eating away of the silver? :eek: It was black when I got it and took at least 5 cleanings.

15. DragonflyWink

Hey Shiloh - you were right the first time on the second date, the 1873 patent was an 'improvement' for the 1865 patent. Here's your syrup from the 1886 Meriden catalog:

syrupjug1886meriden.JPG

~Cheryl

16. spirit-of-shiloh

17. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello everyone - thank you again for your help. The piece sold tonight for $186.99!
    Couldn't have done it without your assistance. Don

18. spirit-of-shiloh

Cool beans, great ending dgbjwc :cat:

Draft saved Draft deleted