Metal nouveau bowl

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by NTC Collector, Jul 28, 2022.

1. NTC Collector

NTC Collector Well-Known Member

EA1DF4DF-D7A3-400D-858F-2C22A6B917E6.jpeg D22273D1-D76C-49CF-97DF-76DFB6D5C1E2.jpeg 0815E131-01FD-42FC-AAE6-D68874E3706F.jpeg C53B16E2-3FFC-487F-B2AF-5A4D60DF7AAB.jpeg Hi all, I found this today and it looks very art nouveau in style to me. I think it’s brass, possibly silver plated? I haven’t cleaned it so may polish up well but leaving the patina until I know more. Measures 15cm across and 4.5cm high. No marks I can find but a small pin size indent in the centre of the base perhaps where it was supported in manufacture. Anyone have clues to age or country of origin etc? Any help appreciated.

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

IF IT IS BRASS, To my point of view, it appears to have been made in India, long long after the Art Nouveau period. I suggest to leave the patina.

3. NTC Collector

NTC Collector Well-Known Member

Thanks @antidiem I did wonder if it might be from India. Any idea how to work out age or is that impossible?

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks either Persian or Indo-Persian to me.
    There seems to be some wear on the footrim, contemporary with the Art Nouveau period is possible, but it is not AN style.

NTC Collector likes this.
  5. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Nouveau as in practically brand new, not as in Bing's shop. If AJ says Indo-Persian, then Indo-Persian it is. I would have said just indo.