Metal mesh purse

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Chinoiserie, Jul 28, 2024.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Another find at the car boot. An expanding purse. No idea of age. Looks like silver plate. It was quite heavily tarnished and black, but has come up quite clean.. Some suggestions of France/Germany from Google. IMG20240728155353_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG20240728155409_copy_2529x3372.jpg IMG20240728155815_copy_3000x4000.jpg

mirana, pearlsnblume, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

With that mesh ‘type’, I wonder if it is not more vintage than really antique? Would have liked to have seen it before it was cleaned. But thinking not antique.

pearlsnblume and Chinoiserie like this.
  3. Chinoiserie

I was thinking more vintage myself too and for the same reasons. The older mesh ones tend to consist of just round links like chain mail. I have one photo from before I polished it.

IMG20240728122538_copy_2442x3256.jpg

Boland and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Both gate-top clasps and armor/fish-scale mesh were used from the 1910s - personally would think this one circa 1920s and American, but similar were made elsewhere and later too, could be Whiting & Davis, typically their label was sewn to the lining in gate-tops...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jul 28, 2024
    mirana, Chinoiserie, Boland and 2 others like this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks for the photo.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  6. Chinoiserie

It surprises me that it could be that early. So there should be a lining in it? Thanks

7. DragonflyWink

If Whiting & Davis, definitely lined, and likely others as well because the little prongs inside catch on things, including itself...

1917 retailer's ad, first piece is armor/fish-scale mesh:

gate-top-mesh-purses-1917-Eatons-1 (1).jpg

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jul 28, 2024
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

It could be German Silver, AKA Alpaca. It tarnishes and polishes up nicely with silver polish. A lot of purses were made of it. In my somewhat limited experience, I haven't come across silver plate purses.

9. Chinoiserie

It would be nice but wishful thinking perhaps. The advert posted above has some silver plate examples. Also the lid is so worn that you can see the different coloured base metal underneath.

Thanks for your positive vibes though.

Edit: oh you mean nickle silver. Possible.

10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

There are lots of names for it, basically it's silver colored metal with no precious silver included :)

Chinoiserie likes this.
  11. DragonflyWink

The base metal here would be nickel silver (typically around 2/3 copper, the remainder usually nickel and zinc) and unless silverplated, it doesn't produce a dark tarnish like silver, but rather a dull yellowish oxidation. There were mesh purses made of unplated nickel silver, usually marked 'German Silver' until WWI, but period ads like the one posted earlier often also state 'silverplated' for mesh bags...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Aug 6, 2024
    Bakersgma and Chinoiserie like this.