Featured Metal Dragon/Phoenix Wrap on Chinese Bowls with Emperor/Empress

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Oct 6, 2023.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

These porcelain bowls are fairly standard Chinese designs with the Emperor and Empress in the bottom. What makes them different, and, perhaps, older are the metal dragons and phoenixes and the other designs in metal on the outside. At least that's what I think. Does anyone have any ideas about how old they are?

The bottoms have different stamps; both are hard to see. They are 4.5 inches in diameter and 2.5 inches tall.

By the way, it's good to be back with friends.
    IMG_3701 (1).JPG IMG_3702.JPG IMG_3703.JPG IMG_3704.JPG IMG_3694.JPG IMG_3712.JPG IMG_3713.JPG IMG_3710.JPG IMG_3707.JPG IMG_3706 (1).JPG

Figtree3, judy, Potteryplease and 6 others like this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

judy, KikoBlueEyes and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Figtree3, judy, bercrystal and 5 others like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

judy likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

6. Any Jewelry

Chinese sellers often sell the same items, which means that there is mass production.
    Types of items come in waves, one month it is "Hongshan jade pig-dragons", the next it is "antique Chinese vanit/jewellery boxes" etc, etc.
    It is worth checking ebay every now and then to see what the latest Chinese manufacturing fashion is, to avoid mistakes.

I must confess, I don't do it often enough either, but I am used to checking if I come across something that is of interest to me.

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Probably whatever is in the latest shipping container.

I love the Chinese seller's use of "archaize" (a rare acknowledgement).

archaize
    1. (transitive) To give an archaic quality or character to; make archaic, to suggest the past.
    The statue had an archaized quality to it.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/archaize#:~:text=(transitive) To give an archaic,in an archaic manner.

Figtree3, judy, kentworld and 3 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

:playful:
    Even though the terms are not always the right ones in our ears, they know exactly which words to use to create an impression of age.;)

judy, KikoBlueEyes and 2manybooks like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

judy likes this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

I got the wrong impression for sure.

judy likes this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

I realized that the emperor/empress faces were stock. What did me in was the darkening of the metal to make it look older. I was fooled.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted