Featured Merklen Brothers Round Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Frank Linn, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Frank Linn

Frank Linn Member

My wife and I have recently inherited this table. We don't know much
    about antique furniture, but based on what we gathered, it appears to be a Merklen Brothers table. We are hoping someone might point us to the right direction about this
    amazing table. We wanted to restore it, but not sure if we should polish the brass
    or leave them as is. The bottom of the table's decoration looks like a small open dish,
    and we are unsure if it is missing anything. Looks unusual, at least for us. Any restoration tips are much appreciated as well. Attached are the photos. Thank you all! 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg . Thanks!

Frank & Olivia

Potteryplease, judy, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Hi Frank and Olivia:
    You have a beautiful parlor table but I don’t think it’s Merklen. There were many, many manufacturers of such tables in the 1890s, which is when I think yours is from.
    Anyway, yours is finer than many Merklen tables I’ve seen; definitely no worries about quality. I’d leave the brass as-is; the patina looks good. Just get some high quality feed n wax for the wood and you’re golden. Congratulations!

judy, Figtree3, lovewrens and 3 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Quite a pretty table. Just needs some tlc as above.

Debora

4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Beautiful piece.By the way,is that your house in the pic ? If so,it's found it's new Victorian 'happy place'.

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. Frank Linn

Frank Linn Member

Hi. Yes, it is our house. Thanks.

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. Frank Linn

Frank Linn Member

Thanks! So the brass figurine and the wooden ball (instead of glass) were not exclusive designs to Merklen? The center bottom of the table finials has that cup/dish shape. Not sure if it was designed that way or if it's missing anything? Lastly, thanks for the advice for not polishing the brass. They do look
    amazing with the patina!

judy, Figtree3 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

What does the top look like?

judy likes this.
  8. Frank Linn

Frank Linn Member

Here is the photo of the top 5.jpg

judy likes this.
  9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Since no one has mentioned it, the brass figures look like gryphons/griffins. Have they been painted? It looks like the color is on the surrounding wood, too.

Lovely table!!

THIS GUY has a table with the same elements as yours (griffins, twisted bulbous bits) and he seems confident that it's Merklen.

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

In the absence of labels and signatures then it’s all just informed guesses based on past experiences. It’s certainly not impossible that it’s Merklen but I’m thinking not.

I know a high-end antique furniture dealer that thinks everyone is too hung up on names and that the important thing is recognizing high quality. This table has it!
    Of course my friend is happy to mark something up if it’s by Belter or another big name, so there’s that…

judy, Figtree3 and bluumz like this.
  11. Frank Linn

Frank Linn Member

I agree. Yes, that's certainly true. We love the detailed wood work, too, and the table is in amazing shape. We plan to keep it in the family for generations. Will update photos of the table when we finish the DIY restoration!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  12. Marie Forjan

Looks like to top needs some work. If it were me I would do what Ghoppher1924 suggests and see if that makes it look better before trying anything more involved :)

judy likes this.
  13. Frank Linn

Frank Linn Member

Hi. Not painted. It is actually more darker in person. My camera is showing more brighter brass color, which is what they are suppose to be, if polished. But we have took Ghopper's advice and leave the patina alone. The patina looks perfectly aged like a fine wine. The wood near the figurines are just dirt/dust and not paint. Camera for some reason are picking up colors different in person. Not sure why.

judy and bluumz like this.
  14. Frank Linn

Frank Linn Member

Thanks. Will do.

judy likes this.
  15. Frank Linn

Frank Linn Member

Thank you all! This will be our first DIY restoration. It might take a little bit of time (with learning), but will upload the photos when it is complete!

Frank & Olivia

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, please do.

Debora

17. Frank Linn

Frank Linn Member

Update: The table is about done. Will upload the restored table photos in about a week!

judy and Debora like this.
  18. Marie Forjan

Great! Can't wait to see it :)

19. Frank Linn

Frank Linn Member

Here are the restored table photos image_67192065 copy.jpg image_67215105 copy.jpg

Potteryplease, judy and komokwa like this.
  20. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Wow! Beautiful table and beautiful job!

Frank Linn likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted