Featured Medusa Cameo

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    This is specially for your delight @Bronwen
    The frame is said to be 18 carat, I have to check again, it’s not hallmarked.
    I have seen a similar frame on a Italian cameo, I remember it was signed as well that one.
    I think I have seen this Medusa depiction or something similar in the British museum, I will have a look and post the details hopefully by Monday.
    I like Medusa, her story seems to be unfortunate. As far as I remember, she was a virgin and decided to serve Goddess Athena. She was so beautiful that everyone was admiring her, even pilgrims would come to the temple to see her. And so, Athena became very jealous.
    Poseidon, seen Medusa walking on the sea side and fall in love with her. Poseidon ended up rapping Medusa in Athena’s temple and she got pregnant. Athena punished Medusa for “enticing “ Poseidon, and changed her hair into snakes and cast her away.
    This was not enough for Athena, she sent Persius to kill her.
    This is how I remember the story.
    All comments are wellcome!
    Best wishes,
    Simona
    @Any Jewelry @Aquitaine @KSW @Ownedbybear @Fid @Ce BCA
    4F62A4A6-F957-4348-921F-17212C70AB2A.jpeg 10A002B6-DD70-4814-BF25-E3052C269294.jpeg 65360FEA-297E-47EF-A858-6C4FA14C29D8.jpeg 3465E959-10CA-4999-8D95-A5F743B6E73D.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Aquitaine, dude, judy and 6 others like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Very nice.
    I don't think it's Medusa. Maybe one of the Furies?

Fid, dude, judy and 4 others like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not enough snakes for Medusa.

dude, judy, ulilwitch and 2 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Perhaps a bit less snaky than some, but a classic Medusa nonetheless. The link at the bottom of this article leads to one at the Met that was written in conjunction with their exhibition Dangerous Beauty. Mount again looks turn of the 20th century. See there is a spot of damage to the decoration.

@Simona Buhus Your tale has many elements that are common in mythological stories, but does not sound like anything I have ever read about Medusa. She was born a Gorgon, the only mortal one of the three. If you read the Met article, you will see that her beauty was something that evolved in artistic depictions. She started out more like this:

upload_2022-1-21_16-29-25.jpeg

dude, judy, Darkwing Manor and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted