Medieval GOTHIC Strange HUTCH/CABINET Any Clues?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Steven Stallings, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Steven Stallings

Steven Stallings New Member

Check out this strange old looking Hutch/Cabinet/ Who knows??
    Looks Gothic, how old do you guys suppose this is? is it home made or is this a nice piece?

Thank-you so much for any information possible!!

What is this worth?

MUCH THANKS FROM CALIFORNIA!

Attached Files:

2. Steven Stallings

Steven Stallings New Member

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

1930s or so - could be later - and what we call Tudorbethan. Basically, a fantasy take on Gothic mixed with elizabethan.

afantiques likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Spanish. And appears to be very modern given the configuration of the shelves, cupboards.

Debora

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  5. VintageKaren

VintageKaren Active Member

It does seem more modern to me too. But what a great statement piece. :) No idea of value.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Spanish.
    They are still being making those because it is a generic Spanish style. The spindle rods are reminiscent of traditional bread hutches.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt any Spanish maker would bother exporting this to the US. Spanish Revival, US made, sounds far more likely.

The furniture I see in shops in Spain - especially, Catalunya - is not like this at all. Modernist, fabulous up to date designs. They'd not buy anything this old fashioned.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

US made is entirely possible. There is also the Spanish colonial style of course, but that seems to be slightly different.
    When we lived in Australia in the 70s there were several Spanish furniture makers, even in specialized styles like Mallorcan. And here in The Netherlands Spanish furniture has been imported from the 60's onwards, and not just for Spanish migrants.
    So it could be US made or imported, maybe even by Spanish immigrants who took their furniture with them. Items are never restricted to one area, they travel the world just like we do.
    Steven thinks there is some age to this cabinet, and I still saw this style in different parts of Spain, including Catalunya, during visits in the 70s and 80s. I haven't been able to go there since, but I do know that a city like Barcelona is still the same hub of innovative design it has been since before Gaudí. From what I gather Catalunya produces contemporary furniture as well as traditional and Modernist.

10. Cherie Whalen

Cherie Whalen New Member

I have this same exact hutch. My parents got it on the 70s when we lived in Madrid Spain. Yours is so beautifully polished. I am putting in a room now and really want to make it a show piece. How do you keep it so polished. I use old English on it

Any Jewelry and James Conrad like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you for confirming. Typically, typically Spain.

Debora

James Conrad likes this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Steven hasn't been seen here since March........2017......

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe someone else can recommend a product. I’ve seen Howard’s recommended before, but don’t know if they have a polish. Maybe @Ghopper1924 knows?

James Conrad likes this.
  14. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

He made a run for it and escaped! Well played!:)

Debora, Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

James......

Ghopper1924, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  16. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Def Howard's. Love the results!

Draft saved Draft deleted