Featured Medeival Princess Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Budding Collector, Sep 10, 2024.

1. Hello all again. I have found out so much information from my past threads and thank everyone who was able to send information about my Medieval Knight painting. This site is just fantastic! I now have another old painting of a Princess (?). I can't seem to find out who she was anywhere and was hoping someone here could help out once again. The painting canvass has been relined at some point indicating it is an old piece. 14.jpg 17.jpg 23.jpg 25.jpg

Attached Files:

• 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      531.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

She is not Medieval, more like 18th century, but could have been painted later. Charming.

Figtree3, aaroncab, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  3. Thank you... I was planning on taking her to an appraiser to find out more about what century it may have been done.. I would love to find out it's a genuine 18th century work....

4. Any Jewelry

It is a naive style which I am not familiar with, but others will be along later.
    Meanwhile, in which country did you find her? And people will want to see the back.

Figtree3, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. I found this in an estate sale in USA. There's no telling what you can find at those things.. lol....

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Where in the US? And, as above, not Medieval. Also not a princess. Might best be described, from the luxury of her attire, as a noblewoman. Am I correct in seeing that the canvas is attached to the frame with staples? And the frame itself is held together with staples. Could/would you post a photograph of the signature shot from straight on with more air around it?

Debora

Last edited: Sep 10, 2024
    Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  7. Ahh... I was thinking Princess only because of the jewelry and tiara. It does look like staples attaching the canvas to the frame. However, it also looks a bit wrinkled and possibly not attached professionally. It is in transit to me, so I have not seen it first hand as of yet. I can post better pics when I receive it. Best I can make out the signature is Melli egs ??? upload_2024-9-10_9-11-55.jpeg

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That appears to be a hair ornament rather than a tiara. It would be helpful if you took additional photographs and posted them when you receive the work. Of the signature and the area to the left of her torso that appears to have been heavily outlined.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Yes, it is. Looks like a parure with the earrings. Maybe one of those multi-purpose jewels that were popular in the 18th and 19th century.

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Stones are a bit of a puzzle. I'd expect emeralds thinking the work was Colonial Spanish but, of course, could be wrong. I will say the artist's hand doesn't appear to be period 18th century. Looks more 19th to my eye.

Debora

shamster and Bronwen like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Jewelry is unmatched. And the brooch, which defies the laws of physics, may be a fantasy piece.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

I also thought Colonial Spanish or Portuguese.
    The stones could be diamonds, which used to be backed with soot before they were backed with silver.
    Indian Golconda diamonds were (and are) often cabochons, rather than facet cut. They were traded throughout Asia, Europe and the colonies, although the cabochons were more popular in India.
    Happened a lot. I have a thesis on the jewellery Rembrandt painted, and some of the pieces turn out to be complete fantasies.
    My impression too, but I am not very familiar with this more naive style.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2024
    Bronwen likes this.
  13. This is all absolutely great information that I would never have been able to find out on my own. Thank you all so much for posting, and please keep the information coming!!

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

When I first saw the face, round with a high forehead, it reminded me of 18th century "Queen Anne" dolls such as this -
    upload_2024-9-10_11-22-19.png
    https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/doll-earliest-queen-anne/2QE11-qlunjFog?hl=en

In your painting, the head seems to have been done by a more competent hand than the body. The clothing lacks detail, and they have also avoided the difficult feature of painting any hands.

If the painting has been relined and re-stretched, it might explain the modern staples. But it does not appear to have been expertly done.

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

To my eye, she does look Colonial Portuguese, rather than Colonial Spanish.

Debora

16. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

Spanish court for me ( my google is on the blink ! )
    Velasquez style but 18 or 19 th century

asq.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I thought the stones in the jewels were black pearls, some suspended so they could swing.

The crimson garment draped around her made me think she could be meant for royalty.

The floral decoration on the bodice & other parts of the gown seems odd to me.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

and
    Portrait d'une Jeune Fille Huile sur Toile Espagne XVII Siècle ads.png

Bronwen likes this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Perhaps M. Ellivers for the signature?

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted