Featured Meaning of antique paste brooch?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Aureliel, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Aureliel

Aureliel Member

I adore this antique paste brooch and am curious as to what its meaning could be. I've seen brooches before with one arrow across them, but what could the two crossed arrows mean? I believe the crown shape above the heart means loyalty, as in a witch's heart motif, although the bottom of the heart does not have the traditional curve to the right. But I'm not sure - maybe it could have a different meaning here?

Also, as can be seen in the third picture, the two arrows are hinged and lift up - why is this so? With my other questions the replies I've gotten have been positively enlightening so I thought I'd ask you all about this one. I'm excited to hear any insight you may be able to offer - thanks!! Here are some pictures:

pastebrooch1.jpg

pastebrooch2.jpg

pastebrooch3.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Looks to me like the answer is no, but would you be able to install a photo, as in a locket, under the arrows? It's the only reason I can think of for their opening this way.

kyratango and Sandra like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It appears to be a type of Luckenbooth brooch ,not sure where the witch would apply.

kyratango, KingofThings and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is like a luckenbooth, the kind of friendship and sweetheart jewellery that used to be popular all over Europe. I'm sure this one has a particular meaning.

This is a 'witch's heart', meant to protect against witchcraft. It can also appear in the luckenbooth or those double lover's hearts. As Aureliel said it has a little curve:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Aureliel, please excuse me for being impertinent, but all I can think of is Bon Jovi:

Shot through the heart
    And you're to blame
    Darlin', you give love a bad name

Nonetheless, it's a very pretty little brooch!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  6. The Vintage Porch

The Vintage Porch New Member

could the hinged arrows possibly be used as a scarf ring?

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It would have to be a seriously thin silk scarf, but it's possible.

Aquitaine, judy and kyratango like this.
  8. Aureliel

Aureliel Member

Interesting thought! Do you mean the arrows may have clipped onto a scarf? The bottom arrow has a tiny pin that clicks into a very small hole in the edge of the heart to fasten it into place. I don't know if that would have damaged the silk of a scarf? (or helped keep it in place?). I'm going to research scarf clips to see if I can find something similar... thanks!

Aquitaine and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted