Featured Meaning behind these antique brooches?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Hinarushi, Jun 25, 2024 at 12:26 PM.

1. Hinarushi

Hinarushi New Member

Hello everyone! I have recently acquired a few brooches. Two of them are marked 9kt gold and the horseshoe one looks like it might be gold fronted. One of the sellers mentioned that the brooch which has oval loops, pearls and a pink crystal potentially has a rhodonite crystal and is Edwardian. I don't know if there is any symbolism or meaning behind these, with the exception of the horseshoe one which may signify luck.

Any opinions, please? :)

ezgif.com-optijpeg (1).jpg 20240625_165009.jpg 20240625_165012.jpg 20240625_165356.jpg ezgif.com-optijpeg (2).jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024 at 12:34 PM
    mirana, bercrystal, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Hinarushi. Cool brooches. I don't think they meant rhodonite, an opaque pink & black stone. More likely the similarly named rhodolite, a variety of garnet.

mirana, bercrystal, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  3. Hinarushi

Hinarushi New Member

Thank you! And yes, I meant rhodolite haha.

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They’re all late nineteenth or so. Horseshoes were a very common motif. That one is the oldest with that tube hinge, the other two a little later. I think the wavy one is a stylised W.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think that stylized W might be a tad later. That gold tone tubular jewelry with ruby-colored stones is typical of the 1940s. What does the mark on the back read?

Debora

6. Hinarushi

Hinarushi New Member

Oohh, which brooch has the tube hinge? I've only recently started learning about clasps and closures. :) I think you are right, it does look like a wavy 'W'.

bercrystal and kyratango like this.
  7. Hinarushi

Hinarushi New Member

The back reads AR or AB with 9CT. The secondary letter after 'A' is a tad difficult to see. :)

bercrystal and kyratango like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would/could you post an in focus, close-up photograph? That's what we prefer. And someone may recognize or be able to decipher the mark.

Debora

mirana, bercrystal and kyratango like this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's possible the horseshoe pin is displayed upside down. All the good luck will pour out of the horseshoe that way. Plus with the pointy ends facing upwards, it's more likely to catch on something.

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

THe horseshoe is displayed right side up; the Victorians/British hung them ends down. Hanging them the other way is an American supserstition. The rhodolite sure looks like a classic "raspberry" garnet.

bercrystal, kyratango and antidiem like this.
  11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thanks and I agree that is a garnet.

12. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Hard to tell what type of garnet it is from a photo. Rhodolite garnets were discovered in North Carolina in the 1890's. Here is a photo of what the original Rhodolite looked like.

cowee garnet.jpg

bercrystal, kyratango and antidiem like this.
  13. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @Hinarushi & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

The horseshoe brooch is the one with the tube hinge.

BTW at the top of the jewelry section is a thread with recommendations for books on all types of jewelry. The recommendations were made by the very kind jewelry aficionados that frequent this forum. You may want to check out your local library to see what you can find there before purchasing one or two.

You are welcome to post anything here you are not too sure about or just want to show off your latest find as these folks love to talk about sparkly jewels among many other things.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024 at 10:28 PM
    antidiem and mirana like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The W might be into the twenties, but I don’t think it’s a forties back. I’ve Edwardian pieces with that tube design.

Yes, the horseshoe is the tube hinge and yes, that’s the right way up for here.

antidiem, mirana and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted