MCM pottery lamps

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by verybrad, May 31, 2015.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Picked up these pottery lamps recently. White gloss splatter over a matte rust colored glaze. No marks. Interior is off-white ceramic. Pottery alone is 16 1/2" tall. Overall height to top of socket is 23". Style, fittings, and wiring places them to late 50s or 60s. Any idea who made them?

stuff1099.jpg
    stuff1099a.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Nope but I might have bought them if I saw them as well.

3. verybrad

No ideas? I don't quite get an Italian vibe from these but could be wrong there. Was thinking possibly an American maker but can find nothing similar.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

They remind me of a pastry I've seen somewhere. Maybe long ago in Europe.

5. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Brad, I found a few similar, but mostly in glass. The shape is similar to the "gurgle" vases from that time period. I don't know if that will help track down a maker or not...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=gurgle+lamp&rt=nc

EDIT: I just realized those are all from the same seller, who apparently is just sticking the "gurgle" keyword on all his lamps, regardless of the shape. :D There is at least one pottery example, though

KingofThings and verybrad like this.
  6. verybrad

Thanks! Have found a few versions of that pottery lamp. I don't think it is similar enough to mine to draw any conclusions. Had not heard of gurgle lamps before so I am glad you qualified your post ..... LOL!

The ceramic in my lamps is really quite thin and they are amazingly lightweight. Consequently, I can't imagine many have survived intact. In fact, one of mine is cracked right between two of the balls. This is one of the reasons why I don't think they are Italian pottery, which tends to be more substantial.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  8. verybrad

Onomatopoeic .... Easy for them to say :woot:

KingofThings and Messilane like this.
  9. KingofThings

Hmmmm...hate when that happens.................

gregsglass likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

:hilarious:............:eek:

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted