MCM Pottery Blue Fat Lava Carstens West Germany

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by cxgirl, Jul 2, 2014.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I picked this beauty up today. I think is by Carstens and would be considered fat lava. This is 12" x 2 1/4" deep, would this be considered a console bowl?
    Any thoughts or information is appreciated.
    Mary
    DSC05821.jpg DSC05818.jpg DSC05820.jpg

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I must say when I first glanced at it I thought is was Judaic.
    greg

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks greg. I've not heard of Judaic pottery, I'll see what I can find.
    Mart

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Not A Judaic Pottery but having Hebrew lettering.:)
    greg

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing, that it looks like Hebrew. I can't read it, though.

6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, all I can say is the heat is getting to me.:joyful:
    the clay is red so I don't believe it would be Scheurich. Is it hot your way Wendy?
    Mary

8. kentworld

Yeah -- it's always the same -- one day comfortable, the next, Hot, Hot, Hot! (However, we were on our boat yesterday, so was better than being at home, LOL!)

Compare the lettering of W. Germany -- looks like Scheurich's somewhat stylized lettering, but I could be wrong.

9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Being on a boat is a great way to spend a warm, sunny day!
    Yes, the lettering is similar with some of the West German pottery companies. Scheurich used white clay though and Carstens used red clay. Carstens also (sometimes) marked a period and hyphen after the W which this pieces has.
    Do you think this would be considered a console bowl?
    Mary

10. kentworld

Yep, I think a console bowl, especially being from the 60s/70s era. Also, the bubbly bits in the thick glaze would make it fat lava for me at any rate. Sounds like you've pretty much ID'd it as Carstens -- could've had a sticker originally. Kinda nice to see a bowl as there are so many vases out there.

11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Yes, this is the 2nd bowl I've come across, normally vases are what I see around here.
    Here is the other bowl I found (since sold).
    I wasn't sure when I started this post as to who made it but now feel it was made by Carstens.
    Mary
    DSC03941.jpg DSC03926.jpg
    Mary

12. kentworld

Now THAT one is definitely fat lava. I've got a bunch of retro stuff in the basement...

Draft saved Draft deleted