MCM Molded Plywood Chair, No Markings

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by birgittaw, Jun 17, 2014.

1. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

No markings or tags on this but it looks a little more interesting than similar Target 1960s made in Italy clones. I thought perhaps the inlaid black and white dots in the seat and backrest might be distinctive? The underside looks pretty well constructed as well. The dark grey parts are hard rubber.

Any thoughts on this would be great!

007.JPG 005.JPG

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Does look well made. I think it is 80s or later. Rubber blocks are for stacking so commercial contract furniture.

3. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

Thanks, I'll take the pair to a show near Asheville NC on Saturday. They might like those. Suggested price for the two would be really helpful! I have $20 in them. No damage on the plywood, just some schmutz on the chrome legs (I assume that's chrome?).

4. verybrad

Here, I would be lucky to get $50.00 for the pair (would price them thus and take less). You might do better in the Asheville are.

I am jealous. Asheville is one of my favorite places and haven't been on too long. Used to go once or twice a year but it has been a few years since I have been back. I assume that Salsa is still there. I can taste it as I write.

5. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

Thanks Brad, that helps. Show is in Hendersonville, so I may run up to Aville for supper.

Salsa is still there, but my favorite is The Admiral, which is booked weeks in advance. Tried to make it to the Grove Park Inn A&C show when I could, but missed the last two years. As an aside, there have been rumblings for a while that President Obama is retiring to Asheville.

6. verybrad

Have been to the A&C show a few times myself. Just don't travel like I used to. My business has become more difficult the last several years and I have to work harder at it to make ends meet. Just don't have the ability to get away for longer periods any more. Collecting Social Security is just a few years off for me so I am hoping I can get to cut back and travel more then.

At one point, I really wanted to move to Asheville but everyone else had the same idea. I think I have now been priced out of the housing market there. I heard that the Obama's have already bought property there. There was also talk about them retiring to NYC so perhaps Asheville will be a retreat residence.

Just looked up the Admiral and it sounds great. The reviews from patrons were excellent. I will try and make a point to go next time I am in Asheville. Thanks for the recommendation.

7. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

Sold for $75. Eagled eyed customer found 1999 date on the bottom. Pleased to move them... Thanks again Brad! Let me know if you come to Asheville, and I'd love to join you for dinner at Admiral or Salsa.

kentworld likes this.
  8. verybrad

Congratulations on selling these. No plans for Asheville as of now but will be sure to look you up if I should head that way ;)

9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

My ex just called from right outside of Asheville, stopped for a couple of days on the way back from a gig in D.C., feeling a bit envious - if financially able, and free of obligations, would happily settle up there...

~Cheryl

Draft saved Draft deleted