Featured MCM lamp

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, Sep 3, 2017.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Recently bought this lamp from another dealer. It came from a house with some very nice MCM furnishings. There was no shade so I tried out the one shown (Not sure I like it). It is huge, standing almost 4' tall and quite heavy. The fluted cone is painted metal. The brass parts are solid. The base has a steel pan that has been flocked to make it non-marring. The sockets were made by a Chicago company that escapes me now and I don't have it in front of me to check. They started in the 50s and are still in business. The narrow vane molded plug is marked Royal. No other markings at all. This screams quality down to the solid brass turned bob on the pull chain and brass turned disk finial. Have tried numerous search terms but can not find another like it. Any ideas?

stuff1362.jpg stuff1362a.jpg stuff1362b.jpg stuff1362c.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Love it ! I searched under "space age" and found a couple that were kinda/sorta/not really like this,but they didnt know who either. Definitely needs a long skinny shade. :)

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

The white socket base reminds me of 60's/70's modern and clearly a very high end lamp. With the Chicago connection, Frederick Cooper comes to mind --except possibly for that white socket base. Almost has a European feel to it.

I might have guessed Italian, but if all the components are U.S...

I agree with the "long shade" suggestion. Once in a blue moon I'll see one of those long vintage shades at the thrift. Finding a shade to match a lamp can be a pain.

Back to Frederick Cooper -- my parents (Chicago area) had a Frederick Cooper lamp set, we had to sell everything quickly at a professionally run estate a few years ago (... a story for another time.) As I recall, the Frederick Cooper lamps only ID was a hang tag that my mother had miraculously left on each of the lamps since the early 70's. Shade was marked (I think...) but not the lamp. So not sure that Frederick Cooper lamp bases are marked.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    judy, Ghopper1924, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I initially thought 70s-80s on this but the molded plug with narrow vanes indicates a late 50s-60s date. I also thought European but the American parts leads me to believe American now. The Frederick Cooper lead is a good one. I'll see what I can find.

5. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with Johnnycb .. a long skinny shade. VERY nice lamp !! .. Joy.

6. Tauriels

Tauriels Well-Known Member

NICE lamp Brad! I'm with Johnny on this, the shade needs to go all the way to the top of the ball. Again, nice find!!

Draft saved Draft deleted