MCM? Help ID vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rink28, Mar 2, 2020.

1. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Hi I picked up this vase at my local thrift shop. I think it might be MCM but not for sure but has that look. It is ceramic with a sandpaper feel on the outside/rough bumps. The inside is a goldish color that's smooth. It has holes and rectangle openings. Is this a vase or planter? I tried searching online but couldn't find anything similar. If anyone has any info that would be great. Thanks!

20200302_171506.jpg 20200302_171609.jpg 20200302_171659.jpg 20200302_171748.jpg 20200302_171854.jpg

ola402 likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That oval relief is pretty late 1970s/early 1980s to my eye. Might even be later.

Debora

johnnycb09, Christmasjoy and rink28 like this.
  3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Yeah actually my first thought was late 80s/90s. Wasn't exactly for sure though. Not sure if it's by a specific maker or what.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

[​IMG]
    There are people into ovoids and what you can do with them...you obviously have one example...definitely as the later 20th century vibe.

ola402 and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thanks! So what I have is called an ovoid?

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"Resembling an egg in shape?" I'd think that was accurate (with a little artistic license.)

Debora

7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

The vase reminds me of an artistic rendering of Anasazi cliff dwellings. Has a native American vibe to it.

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

From Winners in Canada - TJ MAXX in states?

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Agree

Wonder what it looks like with a lit votive candle inside.

Aquitaine likes this.
  10. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree it does have a native american look to it. Also maybe it is a candle holder? I picked it up for super cheap. I'll probably just keep it I think it's kind of cool.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I like your ovoid, flipper. What do people do with them? It would be a cute little bird house maybe.

12. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Draft saved Draft deleted