mcm glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Steven S., Dec 21, 2021.

1. Steven S.

Steven S. Well-Known Member

This is an odd set that I bought at the thrift store recently. It's a round trinket (?) box or lidded candy jar and an ashtray. Very heavy. Frosted stippled finish with irregular polished irregular "rocks" that project out. Polished interiors and bottoms. I was thinking Viking glass or Scandinavian. I can't find anything like these. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_3183.jpg IMG_3187.jpg IMG_3189.jpg IMG_3211.jpg IMG_3213.jpg IMG_3183.jpg IMG_3187.jpg IMG_3189.jpg IMG_3211.jpg IMG_3213.jpg

LauraGarnet02 and antidiem like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I like it! I've not seen anything like this! Doubt it to be Viking glass.

Steven S. and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  3. Steven S.

It definitely has an early 60s vibe.

4. antidiem

Indeed it does. I haven't seen Viking make such a gnarly piece set though.
    I think it more likely Scandi and I'm not exactly sure of the technique.
    Looks very hands-on hand-made, as the glass of the main body had to be buffed before the "rocks" were inserted.

5. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Interesting! My first thought was some type of 'frog' for flowers but are those holes in the base piece sides? That wouldn't work :rolleyes:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. antidiem

@Dory64 , described as, "Frosted stippled finish with irregular polished [sic] "rocks" that project out" so It's not a flower frog.

7. antidiem

What is on the bottom please? :cat:

8. Steven S.

The bottoms of both pieces are smooth.

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted