Featured mcm fat lava

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rclinftl, Aug 9, 2023.

1. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

fat lava vase - signed Germany not W. Germany - combined crackle and drip glaze with typical brown curdled interior - signed in white but I can't make heads or tails of it.... fat2.jpg fat3.jpg fat4.jpg fat5.jpg

wlwhittier, johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  2. Rclinftl

ohhh - it's very large - 10 1/2" tall with 6" diameter

wlwhittier and komokwa like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

While I agree that this is MCM, I wouldn't call it fat lava, which is a raised and bubble suffused effect. This appears to be more of a drip effect.

The "fat lava" label is very frequently applied to pieces that don't qualify.

4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I couldn't tell you the difference btw a Fat Lava and a Fat Albert,unless by Phat Lava you mean this.................

CRUCIBLE.jpg

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That's more or less the appearance of fat laza, but isn't that a crucible?

Here's a fat lava lamp from a Canadian company called Chalvignac:
    ChalvignacQuebecArtPotteryLamp-a.jpg

And a close-up of the glaze:
    ChalvignacQuebecArtPotteryLamp-d.jpg

Fat lava has a thick, foamy appearance.

6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Nice-sophisticated funky brutalist look.

7. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Well, at least I always knew who Fat Albert was...an' a bit more recently, Fat Leonard (no kin)...but Fat Lava...I dunno from Adam's off ox.

laura9797 and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. Rclinftl

according to everything I know and have read fat lava gained it's name not from the eruptions in the glaze but the thickness of the glaze (fat/thick) - I did a word search on eBay for fat lava sold highest price first and there are as many non-eruption glazes that sold for good money as there are for eruption glazes... a lot of non-eruption drip glazes pieces do well and are desirable - basically in my eyes fat lava is mid-century german pottery with thick glazes.... I also think sometimes this board gets a little technical - terms vary according to regions - I live in south florida but originally from the mid-atlantic - I sold antiques in that area for over 25 years and we always refered to signatures on glass pottery and such as hallmarks - unless etched (like waterford for example) which was then called a watermark) while a lot of definitions reserved "hallmark" pertaining to just precious metals in actuality that is not really correct - most definitions for hallmark are as follows: noun:
    a mark on an article of trade to indicate its origin and authenticity.
    I'm not sure it's supposed to be a pissing contest but it often feels like some of the users here feel the need to trump every single thing they can pounce on - it actually makes me uncomfortable at times

ascot, laura9797 and janetpjohn like this.
  9. wlwhittier

Agreed...Very Well Said!

Bronwen likes this.
  10. wlwhittier

Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
    laura9797 and johnnycb09 like this.
  11. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I do ignore the content of certain members for that very reason. You can click on my avatar and select "ignore." It works great, except I will occasionally say something useful. Not now, of course.

kentworld and laura9797 like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Fat lava is one of those "I know it when I see it" things. The OP's doesn't look like a lava glaze.

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'd want to see it in person before deciding. I looked at various pieces I've had that I called fat lava in choosing photos to show, and it's hard to tell from the photos, but it's easy when handling the pieces.

Fat lava, as a glaze description, is a fairly recent term. All it takes is to have people see that fat lava is desirable to have the name applied to any number of pieces that do not fit the intent of the name. It was originally intended to describe a particular glaze manifestation. To many, it seems that fat lava has become a generic term for MCM pottery, especially German.

In purchasing fat lava, I would have expectations, and a great number of pieces so described would not meet those expectations. Would I be correct in calling them "not as described"? I believe so, because to me it is a specifically descriptive term, not a generic one.

wlwhittier and anundverkaufen like this.
  14. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

moreotherstuff likes this.
  15. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Janetpjohn, I always pay attention to your posts!

16. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Well, fat lava can be both a technical term and a general term for a certain style of German mcm pottery. So, no pissing contests here, I think. Your pot is not ringing any bells for factory id, but there is a Facebook group that might help: West German Pottery (and East German). If you're not on FB, I would be happy to post it for you if there's no further info here.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted