MCM Chrome Bowl Marked R B

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by finders, Feb 14, 2023.

1. finders

finders Member

rb4.jpg rb1.jpg rb2.jpg rb3.jpg Recently acquired this modern chrome plated bowl and am quite curious as to the maker. As you can see in the photo it is simply marked RB? I have very limited knowledge of metal work so my description as "chrome plated" should be viewed in that context. I am also including a photo of a very small "mark" on the bottom - with the caveat - it might not even be a "mark"? In short, I'm in the dark. It measures about 12" across and is quite heavy. Welcome any/all opinions. Thanks.

Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Can't help you re logo but... To my eye your bowl is not old enough to be MCM. Let's see what others have to say.

Debora

3. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Reed & Barton comes to mind but i don't know if they use just the RB

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Unlikely.

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if it might be older than MCM. But wait for others!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I was thinking Roche Bobois which has a line of decorative accessories. Dunno about logo though.

Debora

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Is it possible this is silverplate, not chrome? Or even 800 silver? I would go over this with a fine tooth comb for any other marks.

8. finders

finders Member

Many thanks to all for the thoughtful and useful comments. The more I consider the comments and examine the bowl the more I question my identification as chrome plated. I initially suggested that because it appeared there was an area where the plating had worn thin... But I cleaned it further and discovered it was simply surface soil. The question then is what is the material? I did check and it is not magnetic so I guess that eliminates a few possibilities. As is probably apparent, I have zero expertise in the area, but I rather feel that it is a metal that has been polished rather than plated? I did examine it very closely for any marks that I may have overlooked and aside from the anomalous "mark" in the photo I could find no other marks. Btw the odd mark
    Is similar to a very early mark for Reed and Barton but the reference showing that Mark is just a drawing of the mark and not precise. Also, although the initials match, is someone commented I haven't found no reference to Reed and Barton using simply RB. Of course this could be an artisan product? If I have the opportunity I may just take it by a jeweler. I know to see if he can identify the material. In the meantime, I'll continue to puzzle and continue to watch for further suggestions from viewers. Thanks again

Potteryplease likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe aluminum...