McCoy? Etched Rooster Mugs that I can't find online, never have seen before. Can you ID?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by AJ58, Jun 22, 2024.

1. AJ58

AJ58 New Member

I have a pair of these mugs and have had them a long time. I look years ago and now, online, and can't find others. Does anyone know anything about these (I just took pic of one).
    Thanks for any help. IMG_20240622_125438625~2.jpg IMG_20240622_125449961~2.jpg IMG_20240622_125438625~2.jpg IMG_20240622_125449961~2.jpg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

A period after each letter in USA is usually a good indicator for Shawnee Pottery. Rather they did this mug I can't say for certain.

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Definitely not etched. The decoration was glazed

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. AJ58

AJ58 New Member

The rooster is recessed into the pottery.

Attached Files:

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I doubt it's McCoy - at least it's not documented as such in my books. Also McCoy didn't use recessed designs. Did you try a Google image search? Just wondering if it might turn anything up. These types of mugs were most popular in the latter 20th century and were, unfortunately, produced by a number of different companies (Hull, Marcrest, Monmouth, Pfaltzgraff and others). I can't think of anyone, though, who used a recessed design like this. Shawnee seems unlikely as they had ceased production before this type of pottery became popular. Sorry I can't be of more help.

*crs*, AJ58 and Bakersgma like this.
  6. AJ58

AJ58 New Member

I always try an image search, but thanks.

dgbjwc likes this.
  7. AJ58

AJ58 New Member

I frankly sometimes wonder if people who worked at these places made small batches that were never released to the public.

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Most companies did make small batches, often to test market ideas or see how the production process would work for a given mold. These small samples might be taken home by workers or sold through the company store. These are usually not well documented.

Draft saved Draft deleted