Maya Cylinder Pottery Vase

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Mar 7, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I guess with that crude mold work a more recent reproduction? Plus no significant age signs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

They do look brand new, yeah. Pretty, though, very decorative. Wouldn't it be great to learn they're a perfectly-preserved antiquity???

3. kardinalisimo

By the way, it is one vase, different views. I don't know how can you tell brand new from for example 10 years old but the exact age won't matter anyway.

4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Oh, sorry, just realized... just one. D'OH!
    You're right... ten years or brand new. This Board has changed what "old" and "new" mean to me. Kinda like brand new is less than 20, or something. I still really like 'em! :)

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just curious.....why do you say "molded"???

6. kardinalisimo

It does not look to have been carved so I guess mold was used for the relief decoration?

7. Aquitaine

8. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I'm not a potter but I do sculpt in clay and you can make multiples of something if you have a mould. You just push the clay into the mould and refinish it. If you finish things off well there would be no telltale lines. With a vessel the inner would have to be finished off on a pottery wheel. It's quite time consuming so not a mass produced process. All the pieces produced would be a little different and look individually hand made.

9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I make molds to help me turn out faster batches of ornaments and such. I bet we'd love to see some of your work! (Please pardon the waylaying of your thread momentarily, Mr. Kard!)

10. Aquitaine

Thanks! Very informative!!!:happy::happy:

11. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Will do.

Draft saved Draft deleted