Featured May I Ask What Type of Camera Each of You Uses? Those Who Use Their Phones Aren't My Main Interest.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by wlwhittier, Nov 12, 2023.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I'll begin...ancient SD card-based Panasonic Lumix DMC-l27. I stick with what works, an' this thing is getting a little tired, so I'm gonna replace it; I want to continue with the SD card transfer format (rather than Blue-Tooth) simply because I feel competent using it. I'm driving an 8 year old iMac, also to be replaced soon an' for the same general reasons...it's more than a little tired.
    I welcome your counsel, an' will probably ask some techno-boob questions of those who respond to this thread. Thank you, all!

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and Rayo56 like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I have an older Fujifilm Finepix, so I'm no help. I'm not selling on eBay any more, so upgrading isn't exactly on my priority list.

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

That's what I have too. Originally bought it on recommendation of an eBay dealer of Zuni fetishes who takes great photos of her small wares. Since I most often need to photograph jewellery, the super macro capability seemed like a good choice for me. When an itty-bitty piece of plastic broke off the battery compartment door so that it wouldn't close completely, I bought another quite cheaply.

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

When I started selling on eBay (2005) I bought a Canon 4mgp Power Shot, it served me well and still works but I have not used it for around 8-9 years.
    20231112_233800.jpg

I have acquired a few other SD card cameras since, each more than 12mgp.
    But never really used them.

20231112_233826.jpg

I know you're happy with what works for you, but a phone camera is a no brainer.

My Samsung 15mpg works better than any camera I've had.
    No SD cards, no cables, no blue tooth.

You just take a shot and its stored in your Google Photo account as well as the phones gallery

You can edit the photo in your Google account from a PC, laptop or tablet and just post it to an eBay listing or even this forum.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I have and use consistently an iPhone 13 for my camera....but, have and no longer use a Canon PowerShot Camera, (at least I think I still do if I didn't give it away....which I'm now thinking I DID!!) BUT the iPhone's so easy and lets one do a fair amount of editing right on it before sending to the computer....at least, that's what I do....I don't go online to ANTIQUERS on my phone.........

6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I use a Nikon Coolpix L840 for closeups with the SD card. But for general normal to far away shots I use my old Kodak Easy Share DX6490 with it's original dock. It's around 20 years old and the kodak program worked on my Windows 7 OS PC. Problem is my Windows 7 finally burned up the motherboard and my new PC runs Windows 10 Pro which doesn't support/run any of the old Koday Easy Share software. But I can still use the camera with an SD card an the dock now just serves as the battery recharger.
    It had stopped working about 5 months ago and I was ready to throw it out but I took the camera and dock apart as much as I could and cleaned it all out, reassembled everything and it worked like new again.

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

My digital camera is also very old: a Nikon Coolpix 2100. Like others, I'm not selling anymore so my need for a camera is greatly reduced. I've always liked photography, but I never had a top-rated camera. When I was shooting film, I used a Pentax SLR. You can buy a Pentax digital body. I assume the lenses I used back then would transfer across, but I haven't looked into it. I don't get around like I used to, and can't rationalize spending the money for something better. I am reduced to using a phone camera - huge pictures but surprising lacking in definition.

When I look at digital photography online, it's obvious that there are terrific cameras out here. The clarity and definition of those images surpasses anything any camera I ever owned could produce.

I knew a guy: every time he went on vacation he bought a new camera because the old one just wasn't giving him the pictures he wanted. I suspect the problem was not with the cameras.

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

:joyful:

9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I started taking photos for eBay with the free camera that we got when we signed up for the internet back in 1998.

When I got serious with this online gig & that one was just not cutting the mustard I bought an Olympus because it seemed to be the easiest one to me. I had to replace it about 3 or 4 years ago & got me another Olympus.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Olympus C2040Zoom...best camera I ever owned... 2.1 mega pixel

now I shoot on my wife's iPhone ....

11. Rob Langdon

Rob Langdon Well-Known Member

I really like my Canon SX740HS with a 40X optical zoom.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 7.38.30 AM.jpg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I have these tucked away in a drawer that I have never used, all from house clearances.
    I understand some of the lenses are worth more than the cameras.

20231112_234508.jpg

20231112_234526.jpg

20231112_234643.jpg

20231112_234736.jpg

20231112_235101.jpg

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I use an old Sony cybershot with SD card, a humble pocket model.
    It has a simple zoom function but the macro function is better than on my husband's 'grown up' cameras, so it's good to use for jewellery.

If and when my brain is up to using a smartphone, I'm sure I'll use that. It won't be any time soon though.:arghh:

14. Lizzie

Lizzie All you need is love ...and a dog.

I also have a Nikon CoolPix that is about 4 years old. It replaced my Canon PowerShot which was about 10 years old and really didn't have the best macro feature. My Nikon annoys me because IT decides when to use a flash so I constantly have to turn it off. However, I have been experimenting with using my Samsung smart phone which takes gorgeous pictures and is the absolute best at taking pics of jewelry signatures and marks. I have cables attached to my PC for both to use for downloading photos.

15. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Thanks, AJ...I fully understand!

Bronwen, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Panasonic LUMIX TZ100, which has an excellent Leica lens.

Rayo56, Figtree3, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  17. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

When I sold on eBay, my problem was always lighting.
    Small items, ie: jewelry, were photographed in a cheap lightbox and the photos always came out well, no matter what camera or phone I used.
    But the bulk of my selling activities involved vintage clothing and I did not have the space or the budget for a lighting set-up. Over the years, I went through a Canon PowerShot, Fuji FinePix, and Panasonic Lumix as well as an iPhone 5s, 6s, and 13mini... all with dubious results in my natural home lighting. It was nigh-on-impossible to get good clear photos, full-length or close-up, with true colors... especially since I don't use PhotoShop and only know the basics about editing and color correction.
    I belong to a vintage clothing group and I've always been rather embarassed about the poor quality of my photos. :bag:

Rayo56, Figtree3, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Actually I got my DH a Samsung (he's not here, so can't tell you the model) BUT his DOES take better pictures than my iPhone!!!! And I've heard that from others too!!! It's just about a year old.........HIS!

Any Jewelry, Rayo56, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I always shot jewelry though a 10x stamp magnifier/rug magnifier. It has a built-in stand and the lens part fit smack up against my camera lens. Fixed focus if I could sit it on top of the item. It was great for shooting marks.

Rayo56, Figtree3, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  20. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I have a Fuji Finepix too.
    I did edit my photos quite a bit when I was selling on etsy.
    I used befunky.com to edit my photos. It is a free site to use and no download.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
    Rayo56, Figtree3, komokwa and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted