Matte Red Pottery Mini Jug. Uhl? Louisville? Zanesville?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by lauragarnet, Sep 18, 2014.

1. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

013-MATTE-RED-JUG-800-PIX-W.jpg
    001-MATTE-RED-JUG-800-PIX-HT.jpg
    012-MATTE-RED-JUG-800-PIX-HT.jpg
    004-MATTE-RED-JUG-800-PIX-W.jpg
    007-MATTE-RED-JUG-800-PIX-HT.jpg 010-MATTE-RED-JUG-800-PIX-HT.jpg
    4.25 inches tall.
    No maker's mark or number on the bottom.
    I had rubbed white chalk on the bottom before I took the pics. I thought I could see something scratched into the clay that would show up in the pics, but nothing did, and I've decided it's an optical illusion I was having. The bottom is so scritchy-scratchy textured, but it doesn't appear there's anything to read in that crosshatched mishmash.

I can't figure out if it's Uhl, Louisville Stoneware, Zanesville or maybe some other pottery company...ugh!

The glaze is a matte orangey-red that has a brown cobwebby effect to it.
    At first I thought it was cold painted, but it's honest to goodness fired on glaze.

The mold marks are very prominent on the body of the jug, but not on the bottom.

TIA!

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Bumping up to the top by commenting. I hope somebody will know... I like the color!

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Is it red or uranium orange? My monitor it looks orange.

Christmasjoy and lauragarnet like this.
  4. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Hey, thought I'd bump this up again after all this time. Another thread I've forgotten and lost track of. Still haven't ID'ed maker.
    Well, at the time I took the pics, the color on my monitor was accurate with real-life in person visual. I've stashed it in a box somewhere since last September and can't put my hands on it quick without a ransacking search. :inpain::p
    But, I think you are right, it is more on the dark orange side than red.

5. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

sloppy glaze finish at bottom reminds me of early Bybee, Cornelison.

6. Blueeyedbaby

Blueeyedbaby New Member

Hi there… It definitely has the look of Zanesville or Uhl… Spectacular color not
    one that I have… Is it for sale? Many thanks… Hope all is well… Deborah

7. Blueeyedbaby

Blueeyedbaby New Member

My Uhl jugs will have Numbers on the bottom like 209 or 510… They are very similar to the Zanesville… The bottom has a different look a more finished look I think

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Ransburg did a lot of orange but I don't recognize this shape as one of theirs.
    Don

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Laura hasn't been around since the beginning of march....but this thread.....it's 2 years old..!

Draft saved Draft deleted