Marking/Signature from Italian Porcelain Bird

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Giorgio Acosta, May 21, 2020.

1. Giorgio Acosta

Giorgio Acosta New Member

Hello All,

I'm hoping that someone has seen or can tell me what this marking says?

I picked up a nice pair of Made in Italy Porcelain Birds at an estate sale almost a year ago. Since then, have been trying to decipher the signature underneath, but to no avail.

2 days ago, I found a similar item for sale online with the same signature on the bottom, but this time there was a sticker with the same marking on it also. Unfortunately the person selling the bird also noted that they haven't found who or what the signature or sticker says and even with the sticker, I still can't decipher who it is or where it was made.

I'm attaching picture of my birds and the sticker I found online in the hopes of someone here maybe able to shed some light for me.

Thank you in advance for anyone looking at this.

Ned 20200521_093346.jpg s-l1600.jpg

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

from a very old post by the late Walter Del Pellegrino:

The piece is signed G. Cacciapuoti. The Cacciapuoti family is perhaps among the most famous of Italian porcelain makers and dates back to the late 1700's. This was a large family with many branches and almost all were involved with the porcelain arts. The mark on your dog belongs to Guido Cacciapuoti and was used by his studio from 1930 to 1953.

I am sure that if you searched the web for the name Cacciapuoti you will be rewarded with many articles about the family history and current auction values.

Walter Del Pellegrino​

bercrystal, Fid, patd8643 and 12 others like this.
  3. Giorgio Acosta

Giorgio Acosta New Member

Hello Blooey (and Walter too),

My oh my... Thank you so much for your insight. With the proper info from you & Walter, I now see many items online with the same signature. This will give me days or weeks of pleasure researching the Cacciapuoti family and Brand.

I hope you have a wonderful day and weekend ahead.

Giorgio.

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Dear lovely Walter ,much missed . :(

5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Yes he is & will be very much missed but his legacy will live on both in print, on-line on his website, on the eBay discussion boards (at least the ones they didn't trash) & on this forum.

@Giorgio Acosta - Welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy::happy:

Walter passed away in August of 2019. He was a world renowned expert in Italian pottery & we were very fortunate that he was a member of this forum.

Fid, dgbjwc, patd8643 and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted