Featured Marcasite & pearl necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by LucyLocket, Jul 21, 2024.

1. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

This marcasite & faux pearl neclace is one of my recent acquisitions. I have only just had a proper look at it and noticed the markings on the back. Looks like T/u 25 to me - I did wonder if there was originally a 9 in front of the 25 and it has worn away. Though if it was 925 wouldn't it have been stamped into the metal rather than etched/scratched? Could the T/u be the makers mark?
    I have searched online and found very similar art deco necklaces but they are all marked Sterling or 925. The necklace is much more silvery than in the photos - just couldn't capture it on camera.
    Would anyone be able to shed any light on these marks please?

. 20240721_122640.jpg 20240721_122821.jpg 20240721_122152.jpg 20240721_122030.jpg 20240721_122732.jpg 20240721_122155.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2024
    mirana, Bronwen, Marote and 5 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that mark was added long after the piece was made......likely by a dealer..

oh....& I hate that chain as it catches all manner of hair.....& pulls hard till u scream !;):mad:

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think it's vintage costume of no particular parentage. Pretty though.

LucyLocket and Bronwen like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I can see a faint "9" before the "25" in the photo. I wouldn't be surprised if this was sterling. Do you have any way to test?

Bronwen likes this.
  5. komokwa

that ghost 9 is so far removed from the deeply etched 25 that I can't see how they are involved..

6. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

This is really cute! I enjoy these type of necklaces. The way they linked the pieces together is interesting. I like the look of the "paperclip"(?) chains since you so rarely see them and they're different.

7. LucyLocket

Yes, I'd noticed the 9 too but as Komokwa said - it's so far away from the 25 that I don't see how they could be connected. I too have a feeling it might be silver but have no way of testing!

komokwa likes this.
  8. LucyLocket

I think it's a lovely necklace. The construction is interesting & quite different to any other necklaces I've looked at when trying to research it. Many look very similar from the front but totally different at the back. I too like the chain - I have a couple of necklaces with the same chains and don't have a problem with my hair getting caught!

komokwa and mirana like this.
  9. komokwa

maybe I'm hairier than you.....but I tried that chain once......and it got my beard...my chest hairs...... and would not let go !!!!!!

so , maybe for gals........ but not guys !

mirana likes this.
  10. LucyLocket

Haha! I don't have a beard or chest hair (yet - but give it time I'm not getting any younger!).

mirana and komokwa like this.
  11. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Aaaah yeah I pluck my beard so I'm all good. :D:hilarious:

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted